Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

Suzuki Forenza what does the yellow steering wheel warning

what does the yellow steering wheel warning light mean on a 2005 Forenza and is it safe to drive until I get it checked out? Thanks.
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Hello, does it have an exclamtion point next to it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it does
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, BTW: my name isXXXXX me gather the info for you , type it up and send. Please allow me a few minutes to do so. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, Randall

I'll look forward to hearing from you!

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
That lamp indicates a problem was detected with the SSPS ( speed sensitive power steering). there are 2 different versions of power stg. You have the electronic version. basically, without a bunch of details, sensors feed a computer in turn the computer adjustes the sensitivity of the steering. Making it easier when needed and less when not needed. Unsafe? depends on how you look at it. If the steering feels ok? then you are just fine. Worst case would be the steering could stiffen up some kind of like no power steering but.. you will NOT lose steering completely.You can still drive 100% but may become harder to turn. If your steering feels ok now, it could just be a sensor or more minor and computer detected a problem. The ONLY way to know is have the codes scanned via a scan tool. the trouble code set will tell where the problem lies. I have no way to know. I can only feed the info, not the repair.

Speed Sensitive Power Steering System Description

The Speed Sensitive Power Steering (SSPS) system varies the driver effort required to steer as the vehicle speed changes. At low speeds, the system provides maximum power assist for easy turning and parking maneuvers. At higher speeds, the steering power is reduced to provide the driver with firmer steering and directional stability. The SSPS system accomplishes this by reducing the amount of power steering fluid flow from the power steering pump to the power steering gear as the vehicle speed increases. When the vehicle is stationary, the SSPS system provides maximum fluid flow to the steering gear. As the vehicle speed increases, the fluid flow to the steering gear is decreased.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is very helpful. The information in the owner's manual is very vague. This light came on a few times last winter and now that it's turned very cold lately it has been coming on again. Do you think the outside temprature might play a role in this happening?
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
yes it could. It could affect a sensor, module or even the assist motor on the column. the trouble code set will narrow it down for you. may? even be able to get under a warranty repair