nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

My 2003 Land Rover Discovery engine..blown..used engine..new engine

Customer Question

My 2003 Land Rover Discovery engine is blown (girlfriend didnt change the oil for 8 months while I was overseas). A used engine with 60k miles looks to be about 5k installed. How much life can i get out of the car if I put in the new engine. 5 years + ?? THX!
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 6 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and welcome to JA!!!

Billy :

I'm Billy and i will help you with this.

JACUSTOMER-1un9690g- :

Hi. Thanks for your help. Appreciate it

Billy :

First i suggest you put some engine oil cleaner bottle (found at gas stations) in engine oil,

Billy :

warm the engine and then, wait till it cools down a bit, and then replace engine oil and filter.

Billy :

It might just rescue your engine.

Billy :

JACUSTOMER-1un9690g- :

Actually we have verified that the engine is blown. Head gaskets etc. So I need a new engine. She drove it with no coolant for 45 minutes.... overheated. Blew up

Billy :

ohhhhhhh

Billy :

ok...

JACUSTOMER-1un9690g- :

I now have had 3 mechanics tell me that... SO

Billy :

ohhhhhhh

JACUSTOMER-1un9690g- :

I am wondering if it is worth it to fix for 5-6,000 for a used engine

JACUSTOMER-1un9690g- :

or jsut scrap it and buy something else

Billy :

So if you need to install a new engine, and it would cost around 5k.....

JACUSTOMER-1un9690g- :

What kind of life can I get out of that if they find a used engine and get it in there

Billy :

Well the engine, with 60k on, IF WELL MAINTAINED, would last more than 5 years (100k miles) plus the 60k already in.

JACUSTOMER-1un9690g- :

oh good. That is kind of what I was thinking. I owe 10k on the car. Didnt mention that. Way upside down. Total lemon even the blown engine aside but mostly things like windows sticking, hatch not opening. Was pretty good mechanically until she destroyed it

JACUSTOMER-1un9690g- :

so perhaps put 6k or so into it and hope I can drive it for 5 more years. I only drive 10k miles a year

Billy :

But since you have the discovery, which requires high maintenance, and would require much more, having passed the 100K, i would suggest you scrap the thing....as it would prove cheaper to get another vehicle, and i would suggest you stay away from land rovers, and get a more reliable, less maintenance vehicle, such as a toyota or equivalent.

Billy :

You can keep it, but be aware that it will require lots of maintenance, that is why i suggest you get another car....

Billy :

It would be cheaper in the long term.

JACUSTOMER-1un9690g- :

ah. interesting. Just normal maintenance on those cars in exensive, huh? Ok thanks

Billy :

exactly!

Billy :

You are most welcome...

Billy :

positive feedback, and bonuses are appreciated.......

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

JACUSTOMER-1un9690g- :

thx take care