Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member

picasso car..my front wipers..its journey from far below..windscreen

I have a Picasso car and have had a problem with my front wipers after this cold spell,I suspect both wipers had frozen together and malfunctioned. It looks like the off-side one needs re-aligned the blade is starting its journey from far below where it should .
How would I re-align this blade so that it startrs and finishes on the windscreen
Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JA!!!

I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

If the mechanism is broken, it may need replacing. But since everything is working, i suspect only alignment should work:
click here for removal and installation instructions

Now once you remove the blades, you can turn on the wipers, and they will go up and down and stop at the right position. After you install the blades in correct starting position, and you're good to go.

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot open your attachment as the message says the "file is damaged and cannot be repaired "

could you please rectify

Thank you.

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

Here's the info: here

Some technical issue......
Thank you for your patience!

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am still getting the same answer "File damaged and cannot be repaired" even when I click on the word "Here" on your second message.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

Thank you so much for your input and patience....

I will get the file as images, and send it...(just a few minutes...)

Regards,
Billy
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Here we go again:
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you -- The job looks as if it just needs the wiper arm re-aligned . I presume the the screwed rod with the nut on the end is also splined to accept the wiper movement , I have taken the nut off and sprayed the splines (If it is splines below there) with loosening lubricant but cannot get the arm to come off . Do you have any further tips please.

Suspect it may be rusted on.

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

As stated in the first answer, you need to remove the arm, turn the wipers on than off, to get the axle in the correct starting position, then put control arm back, only in correct starting position, and it should work fine.
So you're exactly right on this...and the splines are theres.
The problem is, that probably the arm and axle, have splines over crossing now. That is why it is hard to remove. You may use leverage with a screwdriver, to try and pry it off.
The tools described in the first picture are for the leverage thing.
You will have to try some more times, using some more force (leverage) to pry it out.
And let's hope the splines are not worn due to the over crossing.
Cause if the splines are worn, you will have to replace them...

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you -- will try again tomorrow

Would a little heat on the splines to help them expand help?

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

A little heat might help, only you should be very careful, as you are next to rubber, plastics and the windshield.
So try some leverage and pry it out bit by bit....heat could damage lots of other components as you are working on top of the vehicle....

Regards,
Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you I am unable to get to my car today because of the weather conditions here --- yet another 6ins. snow last night.

Will be in touch as soon as I can look at it tomorrow I hope.

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Take your time!!!

Hope the weather and your car get better!

And get back to me whenever follow up is needed.

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help. After a bit of a fiddle I managed to get the job done. Then I discovered that the control arms under the bonnet had bent and once I straightened them out all was ok .

Your support appreciated.