david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines

seals that need to be replaced..new water pump..timing belt

Customer Question

are there any seals that need to be replaced while putting in a new water pump and timing belt?
Category: Car
Expert:  david replied 3 years ago.

david :

Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

JACUSTOMER-hak4pu6b- :

hi

david :

Aside from the water pump O-ring and the crankshaft seal On the front cover there are no other seals or gaskets to replace.

JACUSTOMER-hak4pu6b- :

ok because i just had the water pump, timing belt and oil pan replaced and its leaking a bit of oil

JACUSTOMER-hak4pu6b- :

like a couple drops every now and then

david :

OK from were are you seeing the oil. Passenger side drivers side if seeing it on the ground?

david :

When replacing the oil pan there is a gasket between the oil pan and engine.

JACUSTOMER-hak4pu6b- :

seeing it on the passengers side of the ooil pan in the front

JACUSTOMER-hak4pu6b- :

yes the oil pan gasket was replaced

david :

OK if it is only a little oil you are seeing. I would think the the oil pan mounting bolts are not thigh. Because the oil pan is the only thing that can and will leak oil.

david :

If the bolts are not tight it will cause a shall leak, But over time it will get worse.

JACUSTOMER-hak4pu6b- :

thats what i thought but my mechanic keeps telling me that its a seal inside

JACUSTOMER-hak4pu6b- :

also, theres some type of shaft sticking down from the engine on the passengers side. could you tell me what that is?

david :

OK there is no seal inside the oil pan, Just the oil pan gasket that goes around the top of the oil pan were it meats the engine. When you say "a seal inside" Inside were??

JACUSTOMER-hak4pu6b- :

behind the timing belt where the crank seal is

david :

Can you describe this shaft sticking down from the engine.

JACUSTOMER-hak4pu6b- :

its about 1 inch in diameter, around 3 inches long and it sticks down from the block at a 45 degree angle and is attached with 2 bolts

david :

There is no crank seal in the passenger side (front of the engine).

JACUSTOMER-hak4pu6b- :

looks like a oil pressure sensor but theres no wires going to it

david :

It is hard to say what this shaft is but i should not be sticking off the engine.

david :

You need to tack the car back to the mechanic because it sounds like they for got somthing.

JACUSTOMER-hak4pu6b- :

kkk

david :

Let me know

Hope this helps
Good luck