Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

headlight relay on a 1995 range rover classic LWB 4.2L engine?

Where is the headlight relay on a 1995 range rover classic LWB 4.2L engine?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX you let me know why a relay as the headlamp circuit does not use a headlamp relay. LMk thanks

lectrical Diagrams
H2-1
H2-2
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My headlights are not working. The fuses (one for each light) are fine. A circuit tester indicates no electrical current to the headlights. New lights tried - still not working. So, must be something between the battery and the headlight. Besides the fuses, I can only figure it's a relay. British-Atlantic lists a relay part replacement for my vehicles headlights.
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Thye may be referring to the daytime running module which is a sort of headlight relay but.. only offered in some out of US models like Canada. Yours should be the system chart I sent
There is a 30 amp fuse in the engine compartment that power the headlight switch, then the power leaves switch when turned on and off and through 4 other fuses for the headlights. If the 30 amp fuse is ok, you may very well have bad headlight switch. Just nothing else in the circuit

Edited by Tracer on 12/4/2010 at 12:52 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Based on your expertice, the headlight switch is incorporated into the turn-signal lever that goes into the left side of the steering column, just behind the steering wheel? My understanding is that this item is one whole piece. To change it out I will need to break down the materials covering the steering column just behind the steering wheel. Correct? Is there any way to test the circuit from the switch to the light to be sure there is no problem with the wiring?
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Yes, remove any of the 4 fuses to the lights that you have checked already. use a tetslight or meter with fuses out, lights on. If you do NOT have power at the female fuse terminals, then the light switch is even more possible. If you DO have power at those fuses, then the problem is wiring from fuses to lights.Would be very rare to lose 4 circuits at one time. You alos need to reconfirm the 30 amp fuse is good under the hood. If it is and power through that, the headlight switch is getting power. I have to look up the switch info
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

REMOVE

1. Remove steering wheel.

1. Release 2 thumb buckles and remove fusebox cover.

1. Remove 3 screws securing lower half of switch cover to steering column.
  2. Separate the halves of the switch cover and remove from steering column.

1. Release 2 clips securing rotary coupler to column switch assembly.
  2. Release rotary coupler.

CAUTION: Do not allow rotary coupler to hang on its harness.

1. Disconnect 4 connectors from column switch assembly.
  2. Remove column switch assembly from steering column.
  3. Remove headlamp switch.

REFIT

1. Reverse removal procedure.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The 30 amp fuse under the hood is good. Checked it first thing. I will test the 10 amp fuses under the dash as you recommend. I do have a test light so I can pull those fuses, switch on the lights and test the fuse location. I have not TESTED the 30 amp fuse under the hood. Just did a visual inspection and saw that the fuse had not blown. I will also test that fuse location to see if power is going to the switch.
Awaiting your answer on the switch info.
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Thought I sent it? here it is. the switch test is the same as testing power supply to fuses. I see what I sent got mixed up. here it is again

EMOVE
  1. Remove steering wheel.

2. Release rotary coupler.

3. Remove headlamp switch.

REFIT

1. Reverse removal procedure.

graphic

graphic
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tested the 10 amp fuses under the dash with lights switched on. No power to the fuses. The fuses under the hood are for heated rear window, side lights-bonnet light, air conditioning, hazzard warning lights-horn, anti-loc brakes, fuel pump, and fuel system only. Nothing there for headlights unless it is incorporated into one of those above but just not labeled as such. Is ther another under-the-hood fuse location I am not aware of?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will proceed from here on my own. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX all your help. Much appreciated.