Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

tracker: quits driving down..road.The efi fuse has blown sevral times

1997 geo tracker runs but quits driving down the road.The EFI fuse has blown sevral times
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

please explain to me how it quits..does it just die as if you have turned off the key?will it start right back up?tell me all you can

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it just dies as if you turn the key off. Then after a few mins.it will start up @run fine agian.Could this be a bad ignition switch or igniter in the dist?

hi

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
check engine lite is off@there are no codes on my scanner

ok

i think the problem is the crank sensor,,these will do this when they go bad sometimes and not give a code..sense it is an intermediate problem,,testing it may not help you..

thanks

Suzuki Samurai/Sidekick/Tracker 1986-1998 Repair Guide

Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor

• OPERATION
  • TESTING
  • REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

OPERATION

See Figure 1

Only the 1996-98 1.6L engines utilize a Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor.

The CKP sensor is located on the front flange of the oil pan and consists of a signal generator (pick-up coil and magnet) and signal rotor (on the crankshaft timing belt sprocket).

As the crankshaft rotates, AC voltage is generated in the pick-up coil. This current is sent to the ECM, where it is used to calculate the variation of crankshaft speed, which detects if a cylinder misfired).

FIG : Fig. 1: Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor wiring circuit image

TESTING

1. Disconnect the negative battery.
  2. Detach the wiring harness connector from the CKP sensor.
  3. Use a Digital Volt-Ohmmeter (DVOM), switched to the ohmmeter function, to measure the resistance between the two CKP sensor terminals. The resistance should be 360-460 ohms. If the resistance is not as specified, replace it with a new one and retest. Otherwise, inspect the CKP sensor wiring harness for an open or short circuit.
  4. Reattach the wiring harness connector to the CKP sensor.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

The CKP sensor is mounted in the oil pan front gasket flange.

1. If additional undervehicle clearance is needed, raise and safely support the front of the vehicle securely on jackstands. Apply the parking brake and block the rear wheels.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery.
  3. Detach the wiring harness connector from the CKP sensor.
  4. Loosen the CKP sensor retaining bolt, then pull the sensor down and out of the front of the engine.

To install:

1. Insert the sensor into the engine block and install the retaining bolt securely.
  2. Reattach the wiring harness connector to the CKP sensor.
  3. If necessary, lower the vehicle and remove the rear wheel blocks.
  4. Connect the negative battery cable.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think this a SOHC but it a16 valve if it is a DOHC the book says I have to drop the trans @ pull the fly wheel to get to theCKP

the 1.6 is a sohc

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.