danny, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at school corp bus garage! Experience in fleet diesel and regular automotive.

2002 Dodge: V6..Radiator..Heater Core..side Cab @ vents (Highest

Customer Question

I own a:
2002 Dodge Ram (3500) 5.9L V6 Turbo Diesel.
Having Heating Problem,
I changed Termstat & Flush Radiator (No Help)
I checked Temperature @ Hose---
1) Heater Core lines Reads 165 & 172,
2) Termstat housing to Return to Radiator line reads 169
3) In-side Cab @ vents (Highest reading 88 Degrees) from outlets
4) I suspect a (Bad/ or / Clogged Heater Core)

Is this a correct Diagnosis,

Vents Doors are opening & closinging (Properly), But the heat is coming out cold or
very faint Heat with the blower operating in High or Low.

Please advise, sent a schmatic of this operation & procedure to Removed and Install
Category: Car
Expert:  danny replied 5 years ago.

danny :

My Answer is based on clues, symptoms and info in your question. Please include everything. Thanks

danny :

danny :

if your hoses are hot to and from heater core i would not think its a clogged heater core.

danny :

Are they both hot?

Expert:  danny replied 5 years ago.
If you heater core is ok then I would balme the temp door actuator. this isdifferent hat position door of course. Let me know about some of the things I have asked when you get back online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Please advise your definition of "Hot," I'm saying the Two hoses located underneath the hood reads 165 & 172. The two hoses have a upside shape. How can I validate the flow to the Heater core, which I believe is located underneath the dashboard.

Is the a valve, at fire wall.

Expert:  danny replied 5 years ago.
Its a constant flow the thermastate open around 190 so by the time it hit heater core 172 isnt bad. You can follow heater core hoses and take them off and run water through them and if it come out the other side you can be sure its flowing. yes the heater core is under dash but hoses are outside firewall. there is hot coolant flowing through the heater core even in summer. the temp door actuator only directs air from the ac or the heater core. I believe its your air temp door actuator. Here is heater trouble shooting. click here.
Expert:  danny replied 5 years ago.
Click here also. Dont miss the page i sent above this one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Please provide a step by step procedure for Control/Blend Door Actuator, and Distribution/Blower Motor/Diagnosis

Expert:  danny replied 5 years ago.
I sure will . Give me a hour or so. I am at work now and will send at my break.
Expert:  danny replied 5 years ago.

click here. As promised. Let me know if you have any other questions

Thanks Daniel

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Please send me a "Copy," of the Heater Core "Test procedure. Also a schmatices to "Remove and Install. I'm in the Final process stage of narrowing and islolating this problem. Once I receive this diagram, I will "accept," the charge.

Once again thank you.

Expert:  danny replied 5 years ago.

there is not a test for the heater core. Its either clogged or not. I will get you the blend door test but some testing may be using scanner tool. And I will get Removel and install of hvac casing which hold heater core and air doors.

Edited by danny on 12/4/2010 at 9:58 PM EST
Expert:  danny replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  danny replied 5 years ago.
>>>>>>>>>>Click Here<<<<<<<<<<<<<.
Expert:  danny replied 5 years ago.
Thanks and let me know if you have any more questions