Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
20625509

The ground, convertable

I am writing this question for a friend so I don't have all the facts, but perhaps you could refer her in some direction. The car is a little sporty number (don't know make). low to the ground, convertable. It has been accumulating water on the floor. Lots of water, like an inch or 2 after rains. She has no garage. All the carpets are ruined and the mechanics can't find any reason for this. They have checked the seal for the top and other areas where they think it could leak, but nothing has worked. They spray it with water at different areas and nothing appears to come in. But every rain, there's a pool on her car floor. She would sure appreciate any wisdom on this.
Thank you,
Regina

I don't mind paying the fee for good advice, however, I am wondering if my lack of knowledge of the make and model of the car will inhibit your answer.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.
Is she driving this car when it rains and getting rain water inside? That is the only other possibility I can think of besides using a garden hose and re-create a rain downpour and look for the leak. If she is driving then not only would you have to cover the car with water from the garden hose but reach under each of the 4 tires with the hose and point upward as to re-create going over and splashing through water puddles.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2006 Mazda Miata or MX5. I spoke to her and this is her model. She said the water is only coming in when the car sits still.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.
There has got to be a leak somewhere then. May I suggest using the garden hose and having someone sit inside while someone else drenches that entire vehicle in a downpour and water and look for a leak. Since the carpet is already ruined, perhaps pull up all the carpet to get a better look.