Tom Neff
Tom Neff, Technician
Experience:  ASE certified, 30 + years of Automotive experience, previous SR71 aircraft mechanic, factory trained

Pinto: mechanics..cold weather..I loose power steering until it warms

Customer Question

My 2000 2lt elx punto makes a constant squeaking noise. Its sounds like a belt but 3 mechanics looked at it and cant find what it is. Since cold weather battery light comes on when started and I loose power steering until it warms up. Is squeaking and battery problem down to alternaor belt? Can you suggest anything else? A whits end, Charlotte
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom Neff replied 5 years ago.
Hi Charlotte, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will need to ask few questions prior to giving you an answer. When the mechanics you had look at the vehicle, did any of the attempt to remove the alternator belt and start the vehicle to see if the noise went away? Did they try removing any of the belts to see if they could isolate the source of the noise to the item that the belt was driving.

Thanks you for your information this will assist me in giving you a solution to your problem,

Expert:  Tom Neff replied 5 years ago.
Hi,, just checking in to see if you got the information that I requested?

Thanks, Tom