Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Isuzu Hombre: Hey..push..the gear shifter into gear

Hey there, so here is the deal. I have an Isuzu Hombre 1998. Over the last week, I have had to really push hard to push the gear shifter into gear. Some times it goes in without force, but other times I need to put a lot of force behind it. When i need to force it in, the gears don't grind- but it feels like there are two things I am pushing through. The friction point on the pedal feels like it is no longer in the center of the travel. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using justanswer.

Sounds like your problem is that your clutch is not fully disengaging. Check the fluid level in the clutch reservoir. This is located on the firewall next to the brake master cylinder. If the fluid level is low, it should be topped off. Then pump the clutch pedal several times. This should get the clutch releasing again. If you still have problems, there may be air in the clutch hydraulic system. If this is the case you will have to bleed the system. The best way to do this is to connect a hand held vaccuum pump to the top of the clutch reservoir and apply a vacuum to the reservoir.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks. Just to make sure. I take the reservoir cap off, top off the reservoir, put the cap back on, and then pump it up. What kind of fluid do I put in it? Is it just hydraulic fluid like I would use in the break system?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
It is just DOT 3 brake fluid, just like what you put in the brake fluid reservoir. Remove the cap, top off the fluid and replace the cap, then pump the pedal.