Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Limited: check engine-XXXXX XXXXXght..message center..low gear..200 miles

check engine-XXXXX XXXXXght on and in message center: transmission fault limited gear only and transmission range change not available. speed has been reduced i can only drive in low gear. I live about 200 miles to the nearest dealship. what can i do for now?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

YOur computer in your vehicle has detected a fault in the transmission system.This is why it is in low gear as it is in a fail safe mode.

Sometimes cycling the key off and on a few times will take it out of this fail safe mode,but if it does not then this is a hard fault in the computer that will not take the vehicle out of fail safe mode until the problem is repaired and the fault code cleared out of the computer.

I don't recommend driving the vehicle like this,most likely a shop will have to take a look at this in your area or at least read the failure code to see what the problem is,they may also be able to clear out the code to get it back to normal operating range so you can drive it to the dealer.

The only other thing you could do is have it towed to the dealer.But there is no way to bypass this problem to get it driving normally again without having a shop or someone read and try to correct the fault and then clear out the code.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!