Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp.

Hi Anthony - you there?

Hi Anthony - you there?
Category: Car
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I'm here. How can I be of help?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Anthony - you helped me before with a power steering issue and I wanted to see what thoughts you had about my car this morning. It's been cold here in the mornings, temp down around 32 (don't laugh!) - anyway I noticed that the engine didn't turn over with as much umpf in the morning but it did turn over and it was really only noticable to me since I drive the car everyday. This morning no issue but when I pulled up to the coffee shop and my car pool buddy got out to get her coffee I turned the engine off and let the cd player and headlights on - when she came back (4 mins max) the car wouldn't turn over!

Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Hi again! I remember. Hope it went well...

Ok, what you're describing is a bad battery. It should have about 45 minutes of reserve power and not 4 minutes. Id also have the Alternator load tested. The battery is most likely.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I didn't think it was the alternator as I was the carpool driver yesterday and the trip is about 45 miles each way - right? so I'm with you thinking the battery didn't like the cold snap and died - there is a Kragen close to where it died this morning - is it fairly easy (meaning I could do it) to replace a battery? I was thinking I would buy a new battery, stagger back to my car carrying the battery (in my 3 inch heels) and replace it?? Any special things I need to look for? tools? The Kragen guys don't usually offer to help a damsel in distress to they?
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Oh boy!

You could do that but this isn't the easiest thing to do. YOu need some small hand tools. Heres the procedures in the picture below. Remember to take the negative cable off first and install it last. I believe its just the battery. They show their age at low temperatures.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm going to take that route then - thanks for your help Anthony - have a great holiday.

Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

You're very welcome and thank you. Happy holidays to you too!!!