nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

Skoda Octavia RS Hi, after trying to turn around in my road

Customer Question

Hi, after trying to turn around in my road today, and with the traction control working over time, i had 3 lights pop up on the dash. SRS, ABS and TCS/ESP. i turned the car off to see if the lights would go out. they did but then came back on again within a few minutes. As soon as they came on, i lost all power. The car was still running and in gear but, i had no response from the throttle at all. The car wont even start now. As a result of this, i had 3 fault codes pop on my diag. reader. 00532, 00668 and 16796. The first 2 seem to point to the battery (either new or recharge, loose connection or blown fuse?) but the third i cant find anything about (sec. air inj. sys. switching valve a circ. malf. Will any of these result in my car not starting?

Sorry its a bit long winded.

Thank u for your time.

Craige - Skoda Octavia RS 2001
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 6 years ago.

Billy :

Hello Craig and welcome to JA!!!

Billy :

I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

Billy :

Let me explain first the third error:

Billy :

The secondary air injection, is a system, with an air pump, pumping fresh air into the exhaust, while the engine is cold, this would lead to thermal post combustion (any remaining unburnt fuel, resulting from the cold start rich mixture, would burn inside the exhaust).

Billy :

This would protect the catalytic converter from unburnt fuel, and would also speed up the heating of the oxygen sensors and catalytic converters (which start operating at about 300 C)

Billy :

Now the switching valve, is the valve opening to let fresh air from secondary air pump in the exhaust.

Billy :

You have a circuit malfunction, that means mainly, there's a loose connector or even the valve is defective.

Billy :

Given the other details you have, i would suggest to check the following:

Billy :

- check if battery cables contacts are tight and clean.

Billy :

- check if engine ground cable has clean and tight contacts

Billy :

- check for any blown fuses in fuse/relay box.

Billy :

- tighten/press the fuses well into place.

Billy :

- check if the drive belt is loose

Billy :

- check for any loose connector(s) in engine bay (take a thorough look at all the wiring harnesses)

Billy :

- check if immobiliser light is on all the time, meaning you have an immobiliser fault preventing the start up.

Billy :

- check if check engine light is flashing when you try to start your engine.

Billy :

- check for any disconnected hoses or lines (mostly air hoses).

Billy :

Now having performed the above described check sequence, you will most probably get your culprit (which i think is the same causing many faults). Then delete the errors, and the vehicle should operate normally.

Billy :

Get back to me for further questions or clarifications.

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy