Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

2000 Isuzu trooper: LS...depressing..gear selector lever..Park

I have a 2000 Isuzu trooper LS. I have having difficulty depressing the button on the gear selector lever to take the vehicle out of Park after starting it. If I keep pressing it will go in and I can move the lever. Also at times if I turn off the ignition and restart the car the button goes in. What could be causing this problem>
This is usually caused by a mis adjusted brake light switch or failing shift interlock were these checked ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not yet but will mention to my mechanic.The problem is intermittent and only occurs after I start the car and try to take it out of park. The selector works fine in all other gears. I was wondering if there could be some connection to the ignition switch.
Nope most common is the brake light switch needs adjusting or replacing or the shift interlock is sticking . These need to be checked next. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.