Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Our vauxhall insignia and had to be towed off..revving..light comes

My wife got stuck in the snow in our vauxhall insignia and had to be towed off ,after revving the engine to help move the car there was a slight burning smell and the engine management light has stayed on .It says not to drive it if this light comes on,What do you think?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

I'd take a look under the bonnet and double check that nothing is rubbing against the exhaust or pulleys etc
but otherwise the car should be safe to drive but it should go to the garage sooner rather than later
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My wife has just rang me to say it is the malfunction indicator light that has stayed on.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

t heres's couple of fault lights but the same advice applies - the car should be OK to drive -but don't surprised if it feels down on power as this will be the ECU limiting things to prevent any harm
Matt, Engineer
Experience: Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.