Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

volvo: 2.8l..exhaust manifold..drivers side is glowing..fuel injectors

i have a 1981 deloreon that uses a 2.8l volvo engine and the exhaust manifold on the drivers side is glowing red on idle--ive replaced all the fuel injectors-ive done a valve adjustment and still have the problem its driving me insane
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

Neal : You need to look at replacing any sensors that could cause a lean condition. Such as bad o2 sensors.
Customer:

my mechanic seems to think it is a timing issue is that possible--

Neal : That is definitely a possibility but it would affect both sides of the engine. Have you tried a non contact thermometer to compare temps?
Customer:

yes the drivers side was twice has hot as the passenger side of the engine ---

Neal : Have tried changing the o2 sensors?
Neal : The o2 sensors read each bank separately.
Customer:

this is csi injection system

Customer:

which delivers fuel equally to both sides of the engine--so the 02 sensors wouldnt matter

Neal : Is that a dual cam motor?
Customer:

yes

Customer:

its a deloreon with a volvo 2.8l engine

Neal : Maybe one cam is out of time. Jumped a tooth or a bad tensioner?
Customer:

sorry but since im not a mechanic what is a bad tensioner

Customer:

and how does it jump a tooth --theres only 22,000 miles on the car

Neal : It what maintains tension on the timing chain or belt. If it's bad and loose it could cause it to be out of time.
Customer:

So the glowing red exhaust manifold on just one side in you opinion wouldnt be coming from exhaust leaks-clogged catyltic converter and all the other wierd shit i read

Neal : I don't think your car has catalytic converters but if it does and it has two of them it is possible. It is not from exhaust leaks.
Customer:

but it seems like the exhaust comes out equally on both sides

Neal : If there are two converters it is possible. You will have to check and determine the design of the exhaust.
Customer:

wow so hit me up with all your experts opinions on everything you think it could be and ill hit the accept button i feel like i already answered my own questions on timing--if it is a timing issue and its off a tooth how much time should i expect it to take

Neal : Rule out the converter and then have mechanic check the timing chain or belt. I do not know how long that will take in a delorean.
Customer:

can it be driven in the capacity its in right now

Neal : I would not. If it is that hot at an idle it could cause serious damage drink like that.
Neal : I meant driving like that
Customer:

is the earth flat

Customer:

is obahma really the president

Neal : No and yes
Neal, Mechanic
Experience: Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.