Clement
Clement, Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  VW, BMW & GM Holden factory trained, Diploma in IT
46976539

Kia Sorento: My right brake light illuminates however the one

Customer Question

My right brake light illuminates however the one on the left doesnt get bright on my2004 Kia Sorento, any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Clement replied 6 years ago.
You may have put the wrong type bulb in it. You can confirm this by swapping the bulbs around to see if it makes a difference.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Switched the bulbs around, the right one still comes on....the bulbs on the right side are burning brighter than the left....fuse?
Expert:  Clement replied 6 years ago.
are they brighter with the brakes on or just your tail lights on, or both?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

with the brakes on, however when I have the lights on, the left light is brighter

Expert:  Clement replied 6 years ago.
Ah ok, sounds like you may have an earthing issue in your brake light wiring harness. If have a multimeter handy we can try some steps to determine if that is the case, otherwise you will have to take the car to your mechanic (or wait till it's next due for a service).

What you can try to do is to visually look around the brake lights for any electrical terminals that are bolted to the metal body of the car. Make sure they are secure and you cannot move the terminal with your hands. If you do find any loose ones tighten up the screws and you should get your brake lights functioning properly again!

Forgot to add, it won't be a fuse like you were suggesting, because if a fuse were to blow, you would lose both your brake lights completely.

Hope this helps.