Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

Gas mileage..this, but most of these cars were 10 years old and older

Customer Question

I have a 2007 xl7 that is getting terrible gas mileage. I am considering adding a small amount of pure acetone to the gas. I have read many positive review on doing this, but most of these cars were 10 years old and older. Do you think this will ruin my fuel system? thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

Neal : I would not do it for fear of damage to sensors.. It could cause serious problems with your O2 sensors. Your o2 sensors are likely the cause of your poor mileage and if they are over 50 k I would try replacing them.
JACUSTOMER-as8fu8wk- :

For fear of damage to my sensors? Sounds like you don't know for sure. If it can cause damage, then why are there people who have been doing it for years and swear by it?

Neal : I don't know anyone who has had success with that. But I have heard of damage from it. I think it is just one of those things people believe in for no good reason.