Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic

A problem shifting into gear in the mornings when it is cold

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2007 XL auto. Having a problem shifting into gear in the mornings when it is cold. The button on the shifter that unlocks will stick and I have to click it for almost 15 minutes before it will release and allow me to shift. Also, when cold, it fails to start at times but I had the batter checked and it has checked ok multiple times.
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JA!!!

I'm Billy and i will help you with this.

Well i suggest you remove the side trim (under shifter), and remove the solenoid plug, clean the solenoid, make sure it is operating smoothly and normally, and then put it back in place.
Click here for info on that

Now for the cold start situation, you should start by putting a bottle of injection system cleaner in tank, and checking/replacing the air filter and spark plugs.
click here 1
click here 2

These are common cold start inhibitors, and should be checked either way.