Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  13 years of experience, Factory training for Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Saturn

My vehicle, I picked up some stuff called Steel Seal..head gaskets

Customer Question

As a last-ditch effort to get some more time out of my vehicle, I picked up some stuff called Steel Seal, thats supposed to help to seal small holes etc in head gaskets. Considering this is it, I dont really care what bad effects it could potentially have on the vehicle, I'm just concerned about the potential good effects. My mechanic reviewed the directions on the bottle (which can be found on their website at, and gave me advice on it. The instruction is to remove the thermostat, however my mechanic advised me against this, because apparently the thermostat is the seal, in this case, that would keep the fluid in? At any rate, He suggested (since I have both a new, and my old thermostat still) I cut a hole in the old, to keep the seal, then to install the new after the process. Is anyone familiar with this product? Does this instruction make sense? Is there anyway someone can explain it to me better? Is there a better/easier way to do this? If it makes any difference, this vehicle is a 96 Subaru Outback, 2.2 engine.
Category: Car
Expert:  Josh replied 5 years ago.

Hello, the reason they have you remove the thermostat is because the product can seal it closed, as long as you have a new thermostat I'd just run it through with the old thermostat, then replace the thermostat when you're done.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.