DBranch
DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.

Range Rover HSE How do you change the front strut on a 2005

Customer Question

How do you change the front strut on a 2005 Range Rover HSE without setting off the ECU?
Category: Car
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

Hello Sir or Madam. Welcome to justanswer!

Are you changing the air springs?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am changing the air spring and strut complete.

I do not want to set off the warning light.

I have been working on cars for over fifty years and can do the work.

None of the dealers in my area will communicate with me about this.

Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

It has to be done at Land Rover. The struts must be filled with the Truck off the ground then calibrated after that with the truck on the ground. You risk damaging the struts and the warning lamp will come on if you just replace the struts and don't use the computer to calibrate and fill them.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I unbolt the sensor and immobilized it, will the computer recognize that?

Will the computer sense the air to the strut being interrupted and send a signal to the computer?

Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

If the battery is unhooked, it wont see anything. A trick I have done is put the struts in. Then let the truck down on blocks so its not bottomed out but a little lower than normal ride height. Then start the truck and the computer should fill it up and not see anything hopefully. Its worked for me three times.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Last time I unhooked the battery, the safety air bag light went off and had to be turned off by the dealer, can I get around this? It costs about $200 just to turn off the light.
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Then don't unhook the battery. Just do the job and do not unplug anything or have the key on while working on it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there anyway to not have the air bag light go off?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
It should not from unhooking the battery. Like I said earlier, this is a walk around and not the right way to do it technically. If you do all the work with the key off, the computer wont pick up anything. Remember not to bottom out the suspension. use small jack stands.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When you are talking about bottoming out the suspension, do you mean the air bags with air then let out before removing

or

not setting it on the ground without filling the air bags first after replacement?

I am only going to put the truck in the air high enough to get the tire off then change the strut and air bag.

Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
You cant fill the bags without a computer that does Land Rover. Lift up truck. Replace Air Bags. Let down lower than normal suspension height but not all the way. Run truck and let the air bags fill and raise the truck to normal height. If you let it down all the way, it will set a code and it will have to got Land Rover.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anyone else that can answer this question? I already had this information that you supplied.

or

Refund my money.

Expert:  DBranch replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

You can replace the whole strut without calibrating the system or setting off the light. There is nothing during replacement that will cause the light to come on. If you already have a fault code stored in the system and it is inactive then the codes will have to be cleared out with a scan tool to operate. What you can do is replace the air strut put the tire back on and start the car up. Let the system start filling it with air and slowly lower the car down on the jack or lift until it keeps filling until it is all the way filled up. Replacing this is pretty straight forward and you shouldnt have any issues. If you have any other questions let me know. Below is the procedure . Thanks Daniel

Also you can skip steps 7-11 it can be done without doing this.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are no warning codes at this time due to dealer turning it off and saying the strut needed to be replaced. We declined the repair and brought home to fix myself and no codes now.

Based on what you are saying, there should be nothing that will set off the code, right?

Anthony eluded to that unless Rover did it, then a code can come due to the sensor on the lower control arm. This was also confirmed on a Rover workshop manual.

Do we need to support the lower control arm?

Expert:  DBranch replied 3 years ago.
I have replaced probably 20 of them and 2 last week and never had an issue. You dont need to take off the sensor so there is no need to calibrate. He was right about lowering it down and letting it fill with air as long as you do that it will be good. So there shouldnt be any issues with the light coming on if it is off now. So you might want to keep running the car to a minimum to prevent anymore codes from storing. When you go to replace the strut support the vehilce on the subframe so that the suspension will hang you cant support it on the control arms.

Edited by DBranch on 11/28/2010 at 11:11 PM EST
DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank for help Harld

Smile

Expert:  DBranch replied 3 years ago.
No problem at all.