david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

88 olds cutlass: It has 3 coils with 6 posts coming out of it

Hello I'm trying to help out a friend with her 88 ols cutlass cirea. It has 3 coils with 6 posts coming out of it. The car just would turn over and over and nothing. I checked for spark to find out there was none. As i was checking connections everything looked good. Just for giggles I turned the engine over and it started perfectly. I shut it off and started 4 to 5 times. I figured it was just a bad connection. I left her house and 2 hours later she called and said it was doing the same thing. She doesnt have a lot of money so i'm wondering if you think its the coils or what? i never checked the ignition control module. I dont even know where its located. What would be the most likely problem. Can the coil be checked somewhere?

Thank you
Randy Palmer

david :

Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

david :

This sounds like a bad connection problem, More than likely in one of the connectors. Either at the 3 coils or the ignition control module. But sens you did not touch the ignition control module i am betting it is at the coils.

david :

Along with the no start are you getting a check engine light? If so can you get me the trouble code?

Customer:

Its not throwing any codes thats whats wierd. when i went back up there i did the same thing i did before but no luck with the engine starting. Can those coils be checked? also where is the ignition control module located and can it be checked?

david :

Ok is this the 3.3 or 3.1 engine?

david :

3.3L Engine Component Locations

Full Size Image

david :

3.1 Engine Component Locations

Full Size Image

Customer:

Impretty sure its the 3.3L

david :

Ok then the ignition control module located is right in front of the coil pack #5

Customer:

k gotit thanks