Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

2000 isuzu rodeo: Fuel gauge..caused check engine light..inspected

Customer Question

Fuel gauge inaccurate - light is on all the time - caused check engine light to come on and cant get vehicle inspected. 2000 iszusu rodeo 50k miles
Category: Car
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.

This is a fairly common problem in the Rodeo. Replacing the fuel level sensor in the tank should fix the problem. The tank does need to come out of the vehicle for this repair.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
fuel level sensor has been replaced (i should have told you that before) any other thoughts?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

Since the check engine light is on as well, the problem is between the fuel level sensor and the engine control computer (PCM). The wiring will need to be carefully checked. The best way to check the wiring would be with an ohmmeter. Check for continuity between the fuel level sensor and the PCM. Testing resistance across the blue/yellow and orange/green wires at the PCM connectors will verify integrity of the circuit. I have included the wiring diagram for you below.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

Locate and unplug the red connector (E22) on the PCM (under the hood on drivers side fenderwell)

Then test resistance with an ohmmeter across terminals 50 (orange/green wire) and 60 (blue/yellow wire) If you get an open reading, the wiring will need to be repaired. If you get a reading between 0-200 ohms, the circuit is good and the problem would then be in the PCM.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will run this by my car guy and let you know.... Thanks.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome. Please let me know if you need any additional information.