Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member

car home tonight (..radiator water filler tank..plastic..cylinder head

Customer Question

i got the car home tonight (freelander 51 plate) when i got home i noticed steam coming out of the bonet were the radiator water filler tank is.
The water was bubbleing in the plastic filler tank and the water was brown.
Have i bought a freelander from a dishonest car dealer that has a damaged cylinder head ?????? there doent appear to be any water mixed in with oil when i removed the oil filler cap ;(
Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Billy :

Hello again,

Billy :

First i need some more info on the subject:

Billy :

- did the temperature gage show overheating

Billy :

- when you say brown water, is it rust, or mudddy

Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
And by the way, is this Stella i'm speaking to?

Get me the info i requested, and we will get to the bottom of this.

Edited by Billy on 11/6/2010 at 6:43 PM EST
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

I still wait for the info i requested, so we know exactly what the problem is with your vehicle.
I will relist it, in case you did not get it:
Billy :

Hello again,

Billy :

Billy :

Billy :

- when you say brown water, is it rust, or muddy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry i had replyed on the live chat page .
The temp was normal, the filler tank looked like the colour of weak tea, not muddy or rusty.
There was a hissing noise comeing from the right hand side of the engine. couldnt see and water squirting or oil leaking.
I removed the cap from the oil tank i couldnt see any water mixed with the oil.
Everything seemed very hot under the bonet after only five miles on the road.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

In that case, you most probably have a leak in the cooling system. Some hose is leaking coolant, so i do not think you have a cylinder head problem. The hissing noise is pressurized boiling water leaking.

You need to do the following:
- determine the leak source by visually inspecting it.
- if it is a hose, you need to replace it
- if it is a thermostat housing, replace
And when you change the leaky part, i advise you to back flush the cooling system, and refill with fresh coolant and water.

Regards,
Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Dear Stella,

You do not need to click ACCEPT every time i answer.
You only need to click ACCEPT one time for each question or thread.
Not that i mind (i get paid each time you click it), so if you are doing it while knowing this, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX not, stop clicking, as you will be charged for it.

Thank you,
Billy