Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

2000 isuzu trooper ls: 4WD...it broke down about a mile from the house

I have a 2000 Isuzu Tooper LS 4WD. 140K. This morning it broke down about a mile from the house. The first symptoms was the radio got fuzzy, then the dash lights, gauges and speedometer stopped working then ultimately had to pull over and it would not restart. I jumped started the vehicle, it took a charge right away and started right up. I proceeded to get it back home but about half way there it did the same thing and I had to re-jump it. This time I kept the cables on a little longer and I had enough juice to get it back home. The battery was replaced last year. My first thought is an alternator. Thoughts?

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

you need to load test the charging system

tims auto repair :

if you have no load tester,,,auto zone and most parts stores will do this test for free

tims auto repair :

sense the battery does take a charge when you jump start it

tims auto repair :

i would think your problem is in factthe alternator

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

JACUSTOMER-c6h8g3ab- :

i live about 1/2 from an autozone - does the vehicle need to be running during this test? I'll have to jump start it in my driveway to get it over there

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

you may need to charge the battery before you take it

JACUSTOMER-c6h8g3ab- :

OK-that's what I'll do - charge the battery then take it over for the test - thanks.

tims auto repair :

you are welcome..thanks for using justanswer

tims auto repair :