Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

1997 Range Rover and as it only came..new one..trucks vin number

Hello:
I recently purchased a 1997 Range Rover and as it only came with one key/remote I thought I would be smart and purchase a second key/remote. Bought a new one on ebay, got the key cut, but am now wondering about getting the remote programed - can I do it at home, or do I have to go to the dealer? Second question, I have seen reference to the fact that these remotes are specific to the trucks VIN number, and that unless you buy from the dealer the remote cannot be programed. Is this true, and if so am I out of luck with the one I bought off ebay?
Thanks and Regards,
Rob
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

Cheap Replacements on eBay:
The combination of fixed and rolling codes used by the remote handset is unique to the vehicle and as far as anyone can find out to date, replacement handsets have to be programmed correctly at the factory. Accordingly, beware of cheap remote handsets advertised on EBay or elsewhere -- it is highly unlikely that you will be able to get them to work on your vehicle!! (The reason these exist is that the electronics on many other vehicles can "learn" the code transmitted by the new remote, but the Range Rover system does not work this way). it will not work unless your remote is pre-coded at the factory for your vehcicle.

Steve :

the way to program the remote is to

Steve :

"Close the car. Insert the new remote in the drivers side lock pressing and holding the button with the lock symbol. Turn the key to the right as if locking, still holding the lock button down. Hold in this position for 3 seconds. Turn back to the centre position and pull the key out - STILL HOLDING THE KEY BUTTON. Once the key is out release the lock button.

Steve :

hi

Steve :

can you read the text?

Customer:

Unfortunately the one I bought off ebay was not really 'cheap'. It cost me about $150 and came in a sealed 'land rover' bag. I have already tried the 'turn it to the right' procedure and that did not seem to work (got that info of the rangerovers.net site. I have tried doing it with the Truck unlocked at the start of the procedure and locked at the start of the procedure and still no luck. I don't mind going to the dealer, but don't want to waste more money and time if the remote cannot be programed for my truck. The remote I purchased certainly looks like a Land Rover product. Are the 'cheap' remotes you talk about knock off's of the real thing sold as if they are the real thing, or are they marketed as universal remotes?

Steve :

If the procedure I wrote above to program the remote does not work then taking it to the dealer will not help you out.

Steve :

Unfortunately this remote is not from the factory

Steve :

If you cannot program it then you are out of luck or 150 dollars

Steve :

any other questions?

Customer:

nope

Steve :

sorry about the remote not working