Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician

My MAF sensor might be bad what are the symptoms if it is?

Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am here to try and assist your with your question

Customer:

thanks

Steve :

It will have a lack of power on accelerate and die and run rich or lean

Steve :

your welcome

Steve :

check the mass air for dirt on the two thin wires

Customer:

For a while the car starts off sounding rough but it doesn't really lack power

Customer:

then after it runs for awhile it runs smooth

Steve :

If it is dirty clean it up with electrical cleaner spray

Customer:

my mechanic filled up the oil too much the last 2 times over 2 qrts

Steve :

use a q tip and gently clean the wires without braking the wires

Steve :

does it miss

Customer:

that is a good question not sure how to diagnose that

Customer:

he checked 6 of the 8 spark plugs

Customer:

he couldn't reach the other 2

Customer:

theres no Maserati dealers in my area so I use a local mechanic

Steve :

do you have any codes?

Customer:

he's really good on my Lexus and infinity but the maserati another question

Customer:

you know it did have a check engine light when it was burning the oil..... smoke would come out

Customer:

until I found out we had 2 qrts more than we should of

Customer:

he sucked out the overage and the check engine light turned off

Customer:

within a couple weeks

Customer:

no more smoke too

Steve :

May have caused the problem could have fouled the plugs out or made the mass air dirty oil fouled may want to try and clean the mass air sensor

Steve :

check the plugs for contamination from the oil

Customer:

we checked 6 of them

Customer:

couldn't reach the back ones

Customer:

they were fine

Steve :

how were the ones you checked?

Customer:

would wires be effected

Steve :

ok see the answer

Steve :

not from the oil

Steve :

but could mess the wires up pulling them off the plugs depending on the mileage

Customer:

49k

Steve :

wires should be ok

Customer:

so you think it is the MAF sensor also should I just take it to my mechanic and have him take care of it?

Steve :

check for codes if ok then remove the mass air sensor and clean it up with the electical spray cleaner get it from a parts store

Steve :

you could take it to him or try to clean it yourself

Customer:

he would probably take care of it, he's a good guy.. pretty easy sounds like .... would there be codes even without lights on?

Customer:

sounds like I have the solution

Steve :

maby would not hurt to check to make sure

Customer:

You were a big help thanks.... MAF sensor seems to be the problem... one more thing

Customer:

Could the MAF sensor issue cause any other major damage if not taking care ASAP?

Steve :

possible could cause it to run lean and damage the engine I would get it taken care of as soon as possible

Customer:

thx

Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: 25 years working as a service technician