lnsmman58
lnsmman58, Auto Body Repairer
Experience:  ICAR Certified, A/C Certified, Plastic Repair Certified, 30 Years Experience
8380301

left rear..rear brake..Brake Pedal NOT depressed Both tail lights red

Customer Question

I have a gremlin in my left rear brake light. It behaves differently when the headlights are on or off.

Headlight off:
All three brake lights work, left one is dimmer that the others

Headlights On, Brake Pedal NOT depressed
Both tail lights red with the left light not as bright as the right.

Headlights On, Brake Pedal Pressed:
Right light is bright red as expected.
Center brake light is bright red as expected.
Left brake light completely black, no light at all.

I have replaced the bulb, cleaned out any corrosion I could find, checked the fuses, and gave the wiring about a 60-second inspection and found nothing the explain this behavior.

Can anyone help me? Even if the answer is that I need to replace the entire cluster its ok as link as it fixes the problem,

Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  al-mod replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'm a Moderator on the Just Answer website and will try to help you get an answer as you have been waiting for awhile. I do not answer questions, rather I work with Customers and Experts to try to help questions get answered. The response rate on Just Answer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions may go un-answered. Some of the common reasons found on some questions are:

1. The question is unclear.

2. The question price you selected is low for the complexity of the question.

3. The question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained online.

4. And sometimes, there just may not be an Expert available who feels they have the proper experience to reply.

This isn't an all-inclusive list as to why questions may go unanswered but they are some common reasons.

I have re-listed the question and alerted Experts that you are needing a response. Should you not receive an answer and you made a deposit, the deposit is fully refundable by visiting the Just Answer help pages or by replying back on this thread.

Thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I will simplify the question, hopefully down to a yes/no answer. Maybe "experts" aren't really experts after all hehe.
Expert:  lnsmman58 replied 3 years ago.

Hello I'm Scott,

It sounds like you have quite the dilemma here. I have a question, has this vehicle been in a wreck? Another, do you have a volt meter to do some tests for me?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just bought the car used (and cheap) so I have no personal knowledge of the car's history but CARFAX doesn't list any accidents and the title is clean so I don't think it has been in an accident but I'd not be shocked either. I do have a voltage meter somewhere in my garbage. I can dig it out if you can give me some advice on what to look for. Thanks, Tim
Expert:  lnsmman58 replied 3 years ago.

Please be sure you are 100% satisfied with my answer before you hit accept, bonuses and positive feedback is always appreciated! In other words do not hit accept until we have your problem solved!

Thank you for that info. It almost sounds like a bad ground, so what I'd like to do is have you first ground your meter and test the socket to see if you have a full 12 volts going to it. Then if you have 12 volts I'd like to have you stick your meter on the ground side of the socket and see if we have a good ground. Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll check the voltage going through the socket this evening. I think you got me on the right track. I'll verify this evening and then accept, leave feedback etc... thanks
Expert:  lnsmman58 replied 3 years ago.

Right on, let me know what you find. One more thing just in case you haven't done so, try another bulb. I have seen faulty bulbs that don't ground properly. Just throwing some ideas here. Good luck here.

lnsmman58, Auto Body Repairer
Experience: ICAR Certified, A/C Certified, Plastic Repair Certified, 30 Years Experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I haven't had a chance to check the voltage but I think you are right. Accepting solution.
Expert:  lnsmman58 replied 3 years ago.
Right on man and thank you for the accept. If all checks out except for ground I'd pull your rear body trim and check the ground wire. There should be one somewhere around the deck latch. Again thank you, XXXXX XXXXX can get to the bottom of this.