Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

First time I hit the brake get soft pedal to floor & no brake.

I have a 2001 Disco II. First time I hit the brake get soft pedal to floor & no brake. Second pump get normal brake. Its been at Land Rover Mech. for a week and he has been unable to fix problem. Any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 6 years ago.
Hello

1st thing to check is that if the ABS unit has been changed then has the system been bled with the ABS unit cycling away?

As you have to have the car plugged into a Land rover diagnostic machine to run the ABS pump during bleeding.

If it has then I'd say to replace / rebuild the master cylinder - which sounds like the next step you're about to take

If you still have an issue then it could be a flexible brake line is ballooning under pressure, this can't always be seen from the outside so to test this use a hose clamp on each line in turn to close off then lines one at time . Push the pedal in between and see if you can feel any difference as each line is closed off.