Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

1989 Isuzu Amigo: I rev the engine..voltage going..12 volts..regulator

I have a 1989 Isuzu Amigo 2.3 2bl. First problem is my alternator will not charge unless I rev the engine and then it does fine until I shut the engine off. I have checked the voltage going to the alternator and it has over 12 volts at the alternator and 1 wire on the regulator. I had the alternator tested at autozone and it tested fine. Second it runs ok but idles high.Someone has replaced the stock manual fuel pump with a aftermarket electric pump I don't know if it's a related issue or not. Thanks for any info.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok the regulator in the alternator is bad . Was this checked at idle with all loads on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No with the idle problems they could not test the alternatoe on the vehicle accurately.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok the alternator shows it passing only because of the high idle . The high idle is most likely caused by a vacuum leak has this been checked ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I have check all the vacuum hoses and replaced a couple.Do you think that the electric pump may be overloading the carb?
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Yes that's a good possibility I would check that next .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have thought about replacing the manual pump and doing away with the electric pump,putting it back the way it was originally.Also in the past I have had coolant temp sensors to make a fuel injected system flood. This system is computerized and it smells like it running very rich.Do you think either one could be an issue?
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Yes honestly I would replace both and start from there then have the alternator tested correctly . These would be the next steps .