GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2003 hummer h2 when I turn the igintion

I have a 2003 Hummer H2 when I turn the igintion off it will not turn all yhr way so that I may pull key. There is a release PIN on the lock (Part # XXXXX ) that I was told this is what needed to be replace which I have done but still does not aLLOW ME TO TURN IT ALL THE WAY TO GET THE OUT WITOUT USING THE RELEASE PIN
Category: Car
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'm Cam. May I ask your first name?
I am working to get you a fast accurate answer. About your vehicle, This pin, that is in the column? Did you check for power on the 2 wires to it before replacing it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi My name is XXXXX XXXXX yes I did.

Ok, and there was power and ground there when it was not working Jeff?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes

OK, did you use a meter or a test light?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Meter

Ok, that may be part of the problem. Can you try a test light instead?

a meter measures voltage potential. A single strand of wire has full potential, but under load it may not be able to deliver proper amperage to operate the circuit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. If the test ligt does not work then would it be a fuse or What else?

I will have to go get a test light as I am at work and we do not have one here so if you know anything esle that I can check let me know.

Iff the test light does not come on, or it is dim, that means the switch on the side of the transmission, side of the shifter or the brake switch and wiring are the issue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did have a test ligt and does not light so then I will need to check the switch at the tranmistion and or brake lifgt switch. Is they more they one swith on the side of the tran?

No, only the one. However, if you ask for my thoughts, I would look at the side of the console shifter first.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So there is a switch at the side of the console swith also?

Yes, an assembly that not only controls the shifter lock but the ignition interlock.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK so the housing around that will need to come off and do you have a digram af what switches are there know where can go to get It. Oh I am going to accept so you will know as you have help a lot.

The switch in this case is inside the shifter assembly. For testing you can try jump the pink in f with the yellow in C and see if the dash switch clicks. Also looking a bit deeper, this does not use the transmission switch like others. Sorry if that has created any confusion.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No Confussion but it stills use the brake light switch

No, again it is strange. here is the diagram.

graphic

GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks I will be checking i tout