danny
danny, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at school corp bus garage! Experience in fleet diesel and regular automotive.
17254274

automatic..shifter was parked on a incline for an hour..parking brake

Customer Question

a 2000 international 26ft. truck which has an automatic tranmission with no park position on the shifter was parked on a incline for an hour. the parking brake released or broke free. no one was hurt.the weight of the truck resting on just a parking brake seems not well engineered any insight
Submitted: 6 years ago via Automotix.
Category: Car
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.

danny :

My Answer is based on clues, symptoms and info in your question. Please include everything. Thanks

danny :

Do you have an air par king brake or lever wedge

Customer:

no to both

danny :

how do you set the parking brake?

Customer:

pull owner says repaired 4 mos ago on top of pull it turned clockwise but was tightened

danny :

buses and alot of others have the same system but the manufactor suggest caulking wheels wheels so they dont roll

Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.
The parking brake cable has failed Most likley it wil fail again on an incline. and will fail easier as time goes by. I would diffenatly have a set of caulks to put under wheels on a incline. I would contact the manufactor of the truck and see if there is a recal or tech service bulletin on it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
expert says chock the wheels unacceptable same question asked differently .would a 7 ton truck parked on a incline with an automatic transmission and no park position and only a pull hand brake that had been repaired 4 months earlier. The owner had no chock We had put approximately 1000 lbs.on the truck in the course of an hour when the truck started rolling. a tree xtopped it and the parking brake was still engaged. Is it engineered safeley, no park position no air brake just a simple hand brake!