Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2000 isuzu amigo: runs erratic..cuts.... check engine light is also on

Customer Question

2000 isuzo amigo runs erratic at idle and eventually cuts off .. check engine light is also on
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

AMEDEE :

Hello!

AMEDEE :

Did you still need help?

AMEDEE :

WHat size engine do you have?

Customer:

dont know sorry

AMEDEE :

Do you know the code number in the computer?

AMEDEE :

Do you have a 4 cylinder engine?

AMEDEE :

Or a 6 cylinder engine?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

4

AMEDEE :

Ok... I would check the fuel pressure regulator. It is located on the fuel rail. It is round, about a quarter size and has a vacuum line going to it. If the regulator is leaking gas than it can cause this problem. Pull off the vacuum line that goes to the regulator. Be absolutely sure there is no gas in the vaccum line. If there is, the diaphram has ruptured and there is gas entering the engine that is not accounted for and the regulator will need to be replaced!

Customer:

ok ,,i will try it ,, i was actually thinking perhaps an air problem,,,or oxygen sensor..

AMEDEE :

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

Customer:

can i check it out first ?

AMEDEE :

YES..

AMEDEE :

Pull off the vacuum line and see if there is gas in it

AMEDEE :

IF so, the regulator is bad

Customer:

if not ?

AMEDEE :

THen we move on to checking for air or vacuum leaks

AMEDEE :

You might have an air or a vacuum leak. This is very common! Open the hood and listen for a hissing sound when the engine is running.
Unmetered air can enter the engine through a vacuum leak, a dirty airflow sensor that is not reading airflow accurately, an EGR valve is not closing and is leaking exhaust into the intake manifold, an EGR valve that is allowing too much flow.
If it is hard to pinpoint take some brake cleaner or starting fluid around the intake manifold and vacuum lines and see if the engine stumbles or if the idle is affected. Be extremely careful when doing this!

Also, your throttle body may be carboned up and need to be cleaned! This can cause all sorts of idle and hesitation problems. This is caused by the throttle plate not seating properly. The First thing i would do is clean out the throttle body with some throttle plate and intake cleaner and a small brush. Another common cause would be the Idle Air Control motor. This is very common on older cars. The IAC motor gets lazy and cant keep up with the fast idle changes. Also when the IAC motor is out, I rec to check the passages for carbon build up. If they are plugged they need to be cleaned out.

Check for the following conditions:

Poor connection at PCM or IAC motor. Inspect harness connectors for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and poor terminal to wire connection.
Damaged harness. Inspect the wiring harness for damage.
Restricted air intake system. Check for a possible collapsed air intake duct, restricted air filter element, or foreign objects blocking the air intake system.
Throttle body. Check for objects blocking the IAC passage or throttle bore, excessive deposits in the IAC passage and on the IAC pintle, and excessive deposits in the throttle bore and on the throttle plate. Check for a sticking throttle plate. Also inspect the IAC passage for deposits or objects which will not allow the IAC pintle to fully extend.
Vacuum leak. Check for a condition that causes a vacuum leak, such as disconnected or damaged hoses, leaks at EGR valve and EGR pipe to intake manifold, leaks at throttle body, faulty or incorrectly installed PCV valve, leaks at intake manifold brake booster hose disconnected, oil filler cap, oil level indicator loose or missing, etc..

Customer:

waiting for wife to get back. is that the most common problem ?

Customer:

thank you,, i will be back later

AMEDEE :

YES... either the regulator is leaking...

AMEDEE :

Or you have an air or a vacuum leak

AMEDEE :

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE

Customer:

im sorry it is a v6 3.2,,,does that change things ?

Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it is a v 6 3.2,,,,,, got two codes from autozone p0172 p0174,,can u help ?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

HA!

YES... those are lean codes!

CHances are you have a big fat vacuum leak!

Just open the hood and listen for a hissing sounds at idle or when the engine is running.

Edited by AMEDEE on 11/5/2010 at 4:01 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

common areas that it could be? could it be a sensor? (oxygen, air flow sensor ?)

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

YES! Either an air or a vacuum leak or you have a bad mass air flow sensor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i cleaned mass air flow sensor ,,but still diying out ,,,only runs erratic in drive and idle,,,,,park and nuetral its fine,,,, ?

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Still no codes in the computer?

Did you check for any air or vacuum leaks?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi thanks for reply,,,yeah i can hear something hissing in front part of engine ,,but cannot pinpoint. i never checked fuel regulator,, is that still something ?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
YES... that would be a good idea to check... but if you are hearing a hissing sounds when the engine is running, chances are you just have an air or a vacuum leak.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how can i tell where its coming from exactly ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sounds like by valve covers

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Just start the engine up and listen for a hissing sounds. Look around the intake hoses and lines. Also, check the intake manifold gaskets to be sure that they are not leaking. If it is hard to pinpoint, you can have the intake system smoked checked for leaks with a smoke machine. You can bring it to a shop and have them do this for you. THis might make it much easier on you.