Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Renault: sport..I press the brake i heard liquid sloshing..clutch

i have a renault megane sport. when I press the brake i heard liquid sloshing around and then dripping down near the clutch.
Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JA!!!

I'm Billy and i will help you with this.

First i need few more details:
- what year is your model, and which engine and which transmission (auto, manual...).
- did the brake pedal go down when you heard the liquid
- is the brake fluid low, coolant low, engine oil low
- if you have more info relevant to the problem, please include (you had another problem or other symptoms)

Please be descriptive and patient, as i need all the info i can get so i can base my answer accordingly.

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
year 2004. petrol engine; manual transmission. Brake pedal went down. Liquid appeared to be water. The car was recently service and has not been driven much in last month.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

I need you to check the brake fluid and other fluids (mentioned above).

And if the brake pedal went down, then most probably you have a brake fluid leak from a line coming from master cylinder (which is located under the brake fluid container).

Get back to me with your findings, so we get to the bottom of this.

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
those levels appear to be ok. I feel sure that the liquid is water it is cold.. Im not sure if pressing the brake is what causes the flow so much as the forward momentum coming to a stop. the car has been in the rain for a period. is there a possibility that water has got into the system?
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

If brake fluid is ok, and braking is still fine on the vehicle, then, YES, it is water caught up in the system.

Now water damage can go through your system electrics and cause rust at the same time, so i suggest you take the car to a gas station, and blow the engine compartment with some compressed air, and open all the water drains (under front doors), now you can use compressed air or any thin object to unclog drain openings.

Regards,
Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member