Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

2005 lanrover freelander 1.8HSE. I recently had the head gasket done

Hi There.

I have a 2005 Lanrover Freelander 1.8HSE. I recently had the head gasket done because the gasket had failed, as is common with this particular vehicle. It has been running fine since then, without any loss of coolant or over heating.

Recently it has developed another temperature related fault that is causing some annoyance. I can drive for hours at 65 to 70 mph with no problems whatsoever. As soon as I go over 71 mph, the temp guage shoots to high and the red engine temp warning light comes on. It stays on until I pull over, and when I stop I can hear that the fans are going like mad, but the engine isnt excessively hot, i.e. coolant is not boiling or steaming, as I would expect with an engine over heat. If I switch the vehicle off for a second or two and then restart, the temp guage goes back to normal and warning light goes off, and I can continue driving as if nothing has happened, as long as I stick below 70 mph.

While this is an excellent method of controlling my speed, it has caused a few problems where I need some extra speed to overtake a truck or something. Please could you give your oppinion on what you thnk the problem may be.

Many Thanks

Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

Hello Andrew

It does sound like a coolant temperature sensor issue which is being a bit over sensitive - as the engine temperature will increase slightly under load and this may be tipping everything over the edge and causing the ECU to go into safe mode due to the faulty sensor signal

It may also be worth replacing the thermostat

It may also be worth trying is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample an analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out