Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

2008 chrysler: van..000 miles..the car said it was leased to one owner

we bought a 2008 chrysler van with less than 40, 000 miles. The history of the car said it was leased to one owner and the service record shows it is was cared for and mantained. Now 8 miles and 4months later we need a new engine. is there any responsibility by chrysler since it is still under warranty. they are willing to split the bill costing us $2,300.00 is this acceptable or should we be litigating from the used car place we got the car, and secondly should we be making a fuss with chrysler themselves
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

usually if the engine is covered by warranty the Chrysler should cover the whole bill

Steve :

is this the manufacture warranty or aftermarket warranty?

Steve :

who did you buy the car from?

Steve :

are you there?

Customer:

i am in agreement. i know i bought a used car. i thought i did my homework about how many people had this car prior and wanting to see the service record. all of this was provided i did not buy extended warranty, because it still was under the origional warranty. we bought this from a hyunadi dealership in conn, where at the time i bought a new car from them for myself and then this one for my daughter

Customer:

so what are your thoughts out there. why if it is under warranty should i be responsible for half

Steve :

If it is covered under the manufacture warranty Chrysler should cover the whole bill

Steve :

Sounds like the dealer is ripping you off never heard of that

Steve :

they Chrysler should cover the whole bill

Steve :

are they claiming abuse blew the engine?

Steve :

Have seen lame excuses like customers fault the engine blew

Steve :

or lack of oil changes

Steve :

I would get the dealer you bought it from to cover the rest

Customer:

then i am going to make a fuss tomorrow and cause havoc. my husbnd is going to intervene tomorrow and tell them no way jose. we feel we are in the right . car has 40.000 miles on it. first hint was at inspection which was passed they said there was a faulty gasket

Steve :

If you bought a new car from them they should do you right and cover it regardless.

Customer:

so from that pt to now which is 3 weeks we need a new engine

Steve :

sounds like a bum deal someone needs to cover it the Chrysler or the dealer you bought it from

Customer:

but i got a new hyundai. this is a cyrsler van that was on the lot and perfect for my daughter, i am planning on taking action tomorrow. i just needed to hear that this is something that i definately should not be asked to spend 2300.00 on. i will litigate if i am forced to

Steve :

yes I defiantly would what is the excuse by Chrysler for not covering the whole job?

Customer:

do not know, my daughter was the point of contact until now. tomorrow her dad will take over since her husband does not have any answers either. if not. then mom will take over, which will not happen after my husband finds out the facts. i just needed to hear that we are in the right and should fight this

Steve :

yes definatly fight this one for sure

Customer:

goodnight

Steve :

you to have a great evening and good luck

Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: 25 years working as a service technician