Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

TC: ABS..Hill..the dashboard are ligthing up now and then after 30 min

Hi
Got a Freelander TD4 from 2001. TC, ABS and Hill lights in the dashboard are ligthing up now and then after 30 min. driving. The heads light goes very weak at the same time??? any ideas
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 6 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and welcome to JA!!!

Billy :

I'm Billy and i will help you with this.

Billy :

You most probably have an electrical problem, causing all three lights to light up, and at the same time the headlight dimming (or getting weak).

Customer:

Hi Billy,

Billy :

Now if the TC, ABS and HDC were the only symptom i would have advised you to check the wheel speed sensors, as they are the common thing between these three systems.

Billy :

Hey...

Billy :

Now, cause the headlight is dimming at the same time, that means that there's a short circuit, triggering the fault in the ABS....systems and dimming the headlight.

Customer:

Hi Billy, i know but is it a common thing on a freelander or have you never heard about it Lars

Billy :

In that case, i will look in my data (known fixes and bulletins) and through the wiring diagrams, and i will get back to you shortly.

Customer:

My Freelander has installed driving light. Light to use in daylight it switches on when engine is started and turns off when egine turned off. It operates using the same light as the normale light used in night/evening driving

Customer:

Will be back in 1 hour Lars

Billy :

Dear Lars, the driving light is what they call DRM: daytime running light. It should turn on when you turn engine on, or when you put gear in drive mode.

Billy :

Now back to our problem,

Billy :

Unfortunately, the three lights (ABS, TC, HDC) lighting at the same time, is a known problem of the Hydraulic modulator (costs around 3000$ new). But you might have something else, so before condemning the modulator, i advise you to do the following:

Billy :

- lift car, and put it on jacks

Billy :

- remove wheels

Billy :

- clean sensors, and sensor hubs (they are on rotors and have a gear like shape)

Billy :

- disconnect sensor plugs, clean contacts, and refit.

Billy :

- disconnect ABS modulator plug, clean contacts and then refit.

Billy :

If, having done all of the above, you still have the problem, then you need to have the system scanned via a proper scan tool for errors, to know what to fix.

Billy :

The most common problem being the modulator (there should be a recall for that, but unfortunately there is none) can cost you a lot, if you decide not to fix it, be aware that brakes will work normally but like car that has no ABS.

Customer:

Hi Billy,

Customer:

Hi Billy, thanks for you answer helped me alot