Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Rolls Royce Silver Spur At Seans advice, the 86 Rolls Spur

At Sean's advice, the '86 Rolls Spur was stalling and the advice was to replace the cold start fuel injector. This was done and the car still stalled. I have replaced: cold start fuel injector, fuel filter, fuel accumulator and fuel pump. The mechanic says that there is no power to the fuel pump. What is the most likely reason for this.
Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 4 years ago.

Billy :

Hello, I'm Billy and i will help you with this.

Billy :

I need more info so i can base my answer accordingly:

Billy :

- when you say car stalling, you mean it has less power or engine not turning on.

Billy :

- cause if there's no power to the fuel pump, then the engine will not start.

Billy :

Please be patient and descriptive so we can get to the bottom of this.

Customer:

The car would cut off while driving down the street. It was hard to start and most of the time and would not cold start unless the accelerator was pressed down. I thought the fuel pump went bad and was maybe the culprit all along. It was replaced and isn't getting any power. The car won't crank. The fuses are fine.

Billy :

Hello again

Billy :

you say that now the car will not crank?

Billy :

If the car is not cranking, the first think to check is the starter relay, and if that is good, then you need to check the wiring on the starter itself, and if that does not do the trick, then the starter will need to be replaced.

Billy :

Now about the cold start issue:

Billy :

My fellow expert was right on the cold start injector, but i suggest you also check the following:

Billy :

- the thermotimeswitch (it is the sensor that commands the cold start injector to operate on cold starts)

Billy :

- clean the injectors , using a injection system cleaner (you put it in tank)

Billy :

- check spark plugs and spark plug wires, and replace if worn.

Billy :

- check ignition coil and replace if defective or leaking.

Billy :

These are the most probable causes for your problem, now get back to me if you need further explanation.

Customer:

I have used fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. The spark plugs are new and the wires are good. The car was running fine and it was sudden that it wouldn't start.

Billy :

So the car is not starting, now i need to know if it's cranking (starter running only engine wouldn't start), or it is not cranking at all

Customer:

When you try to turn on the car, the dash lights come on and it just won't crank. I had driven to the airport to pick up a friend and hit a monstrous pothole on the highway. The right front hubcap jumped off on I-95 coming into downtown Baltimore. I didn't turn off the car. I rescued my hubcap which ran across the highway diagonally in front of the traffic. It hit the concrete divider and fell over. It didn't get damaged. What a harrowing experience in rush hour. It was the next day that it would not start.

Billy :

What a series of unfortunate events indeed!

Billy :

Now for the car, it will not crank, in that case, i suggest you check the following:

Billy :

- check engine ground cable, tighten it and clean contacts

Billy :

- check starter ground and cables, and clean and tighten contacts,

Billy :

- having checked that, you might want to check fuses and relays (especially starter relay)

Billy :

If all this does not work, i would try and jumper the starter using a screwdriver, if even that won't work, then you most probably need a new starter or starter solenoid.

Billy :

The above mentioned checks, should get your car cranking, and hopefully the engine will operate properly.

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Customer:

Hello Billy, my mechanic just advised that the car will crank/has spark, but there is no power to the fuel pump. He needs your advice. Thanks, Philip

Billy :

Hello Philip,

Billy :

In that case, you need to check the following:

Billy :

- the fuel pump fuse

Billy :

- the fuel pump relay

Billy :

- and if these two check out, you need to check the fuel pump wiring.

Billy :

Now the best way is to check the fuse first, and if it is not blown, i suggest you put a jumper wire on fuel pump relay and see if it operates, if yes and still no power, then you need to have a new positive wire from relay to fuel pump.

Billy :

If the relay is faulty (does not operate), you will need to replace it.

Billy :

And you might want to check if the fuel pump is well grounded (has negative through chassis).

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Billy :

Now there is a recall on your vehicle, you might want to check (it is relevant to your case as well):

Billy :

NHTSA Campaign Number:08V585000
Vehicle/Equipment Make:ROLLS-ROYCE
Vehicle/Eqipment Model:SILVER SPUR
Model Year:1986
Mfg Campaign Number:RE08/11
Mfg Component Desc:FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
Mfg Involved in Recall:BENTLEY MOTORS LTD
Manufacture Dates:
Type of Report:(V) Vehicle
Potential # XXXXX Units Affected:14
Date Owner Notified by Mfg:
Recall Initiated By:MFR
Mfg Responsible for Recall:BENTLEY MOTORS LTD
Report Recieved Date:11-07-08
Record Creation Date:11-07-08
Regulation Part Number:
FMVSS Number:
Defect Summary:BENTLEY IS RECALLING 14 MY 1980-1982 BENTLEY T2, MY 1980-1987 CONTINENTAL, AND MULSANNE, MY 1980-1982 ROLLS-ROYCE SILVER SHADOW II, MY 1980 SILVER WRAITH II, MY 1980-1987 CORNICHE, SILVER SPIRIT AND MY 1981-1987 SILVER SPUR PASSENGER VEHICLES. A FUEL HOSE ASSEMBLY, AVAILABLE AS A REPLACEMENT PART, HAS BEEN FOUND TO HAVE A DEFECT IN THE MATERIAL SPECIFICATION OF THE RUBBER HOSE. THE HOSE MAY DEGRADE UNDER CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS RESULTING IN A FUEL LEAK.
Consequence Summary:FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.
Corrective Summary:DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL HOSE ASSEMBLY FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT NOVEMBER 17, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BENTLEY
Customer:

Thanks for the notice of the recall. Your answer sounds logical to me and the mechanic still has the car but promises it soon. They have been backed up. I appreciate your help.

Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member