Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

Citroen berlingo multispace 1.4 petrol The speedometer on

Customer Question

The speedometer on my Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.4 petrol, 2003, just stopped working one morning. The milage counter stopped at the same time. This happened a day after I wired a taxi meter into output wires from the pulse generator on the gearbox. A Citroen dealership advised that the computer boxes and ignition lock must be changed. Are there any other possibilities? Can I instal a separate after-market speedometer?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Sounds like you shorted out the speed sensor has this been checked ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
By speed sensor, are you referring to the pulse generator on the gearbox? This would appear to be working because the taxi meter works if the car is driven. The problem would appear to be somewhere between the pulse generator and the speedometr unit.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Yes . You can actually install a separate speedometer is that what you want to do this would be the cheapest route ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
First prize would be to accurately diagnose where the problem lies. Who in Gauteng besides Citroen dealerships would be able to do that? What effect would wiring a pulse driven taxi meter have on the car's electronics, assuming there is no shorting? Can the BSI be reprogrammed if it somehow lost its progrems?
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Another good expert said to try this first . driver's window down, lift the bonnet and ensure all equipment is switched off. Ensure all doors are closed and remove key from the ignition. Wait for 3 minutes, disconnect the vehicle battery and wait 15 seconds. Reconnect the vehicle battery, wait a further 10 seconds (do not open doors.). Switch on the side lights through the driver's window. Switch on the ignition and check system's functionality. Hold lock button on key down for 10 seconds. Remove key open & close door test central locking system.Let me know if it works.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This model does not have central locking. How does that affect this procedure?
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Just leave out the lock function it should still work.