Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Land Rover..SE...all the service records but still trying

Just bought a 2003 Land Rover Disc SE. It has 104k and I had a few questions. I wasn't able to get all the service records but still trying. Supposedly all the hoses and such were just replaced, A/C fixed, and the brakes done.

I've had it for about 3 hours and during some city driving I noticed it running hot. Not the temperature gauge, but with the AC on it was blowing warm air from the floor vents. The upper vents are blowing cold and I'm wondering why hot is coming from below.

Also, at take off, there is some slight blue smoke. Not excessive but noticeable.

If anyone has some suggestions on preventative maintenance it would be appreciated. I believe in these models the radiator should be replaced at 90k, but again the thermostat is reading right in the middle.

Thank you in advance.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

With the blue smoke on take off this is usually an indication of the valve seals leaking oil down onto the pistons.This smoke will then blow out on acceleration or take off.

As for the ac,you may have a mode door actuator not closing properly to where it isn't shutting off the floor vents and or the heater core.This would have to be checked and tested with a scan tool and a multimeter to locate and repair the source of this concern.

The radiator shouldn't be replaced unless it has a leak in it or a flaw as these tend to hold up for a long time and don't need replacement unless damaged or restricted.
The thermostat can be replaced at this mileage as I usually recommend having this replaced at every 100,000 miles to keep it in good operating conditions and to prevent overheating.

It doesn't sound like the vehicle is overheating since the temp gage is in the middle so you should be o.k. without having to replace either the thermostat or the radiator.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!