Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

Range Rover 2000 4.0 - located in nh..programmed..aftermarket Cat (

Emissions sensing - Range Rover 2000 4.0 - located in NH - CA emissions standards programmed into the system - how do I reset the system to accept the Federal standards so I can use an aftermarket Cat (or is there a better approach?)
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
There is no way this entire vehicle is California emissions from the cats to the ECM what is the issue you are having ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
IInstalled two new cats plus ox sensors and I am still getting an error code showing bank 1 & 2 deteriorated. Began with bank 1 bad, replaced that side - OK. Shortly thereafter (say 10k miles) error code showed bank 2 bad, replaced - OK. Finally, codes show both banks deteriorated (another 5-8k miles) Much frustration!!!
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Understandable but these were non California emission parts correct that's why the ECM will not get the correct reading you need California emission parts only or the codes will always come back.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where can I obtain CA parts, or can I just reprogram the ECM to accept the Federal standards??
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
No there is absolutely no way to reprogram the ECM for non California emissions. You can get the parts from the dealer have to be ordered by vin number or a salvage yard of you want to save some money . There are very few online places where you can get the correct California emission parts sometimes you will get lucky with eBay. Unfortunately these are the only options. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .