Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

2005 Suzuki Forenza: starting problems..cranking..The mechanics

I have a 2005 Suzuki Forenza. For 6 months I have been having intermittent starting problems (cranking and cranking, but not turning over). The mechanics have checked it over and over - everything and can't find it. Just about everything has been replaced except the starter. But the issue is intermittent, only in the first start of the morning. They cannot get the car to repeat the not starting when it is in the shop. Is this a particular problem with this car?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Is it missing fuel or spark when it does not start ? Is there a security light flashing when it does not start ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
All of the lights come on when it doesn't start. There is no spark that I can see and there is no longer any missing fuel. I think there was a problem with the fuel tank but we replaced it and so now it just cranks like it can't catch. BUT then it does. And it only happens in the am at the first start - sometimes. My mechanics call it the car from hell and gave up. Told me to take it to the dealer. I can't afford for a dealer to start mucking around in there not knowing what to do.
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Ok so this all started happening after replacing the gas tank correct ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO - sorry I checked - they discovered a malfunction in the fuel pump. They found it AFTER the problem started - as a result of doing a diagnostic when I complained about the intermittent starting problem. They also found it needed a new waterneck (?) and replaced that and EGR Housing Gasket and a valve cover gasket set. So they did NOT replace the gas tank (my mistake).
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
So the fuel pump was replaced then correct ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes. And when it is warm out the car has no problem starting (I bought it in Tucson where it is always warm and dry and now live in Encinitas, CA where it can get below 50 once in a while).
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Ok if it's not starting when cold the most common issue is a faulty coolant temperature sensor . What happens when this fails it affects the air/fuel ratio and does not allow the vehicle to start was this checked ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes that was checked, the electrical was checked and the fuel pressure was checked. All fine.
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Did they actually replace that sensor or just check it ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They just checked it. Said it tested fine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just replied. In talking to the dealer's mechanic he said he would do the exact same testing my regular mechanic did. Sounds like there is nothing I can do.
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Do you know the fuel pressure reading when it does not start ? Has a compression test been done when this happens ? Have the injectors been checked to make sure they are pulsing when this happens?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes compression tests were done and redone and electrical tests (whatever they are) were done and redone. Nothing!!
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Ok sounds like a security issue or ECM issue have they tried another computer in this vehicle?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no they have not tried another computer - my mechanic doesn't do that. But that seems to be the way the approach has been to the 2006's that had the same problem.
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Yes this is what's actually happening to yours also next step is to install a known good ECM . This is the next step . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .