Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1998 Isuzu Rodeo: timing..a p300 Random Misfire code

Customer Question

Having issues timing a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L. Have followed several different timing books, and several online discussions. Results always come back to a P0300 Random Misfire code, with misfire history all on the odd(right) bank.
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

Hello!

Did you still need help?

What kind of diagnostic equipment do you have?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I still need help. As far as diagnostic equip. I have both an OTC Mentor scanner, and a Snap-On scanner, as well as most smaller equipment (DVOM, stuff like that). I am a mechanic in the Portland, OR area. I saw mention of a special procedure on the AERA website but since I am not a member I don't have access to that info.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay!

Lets start with some basics. Is the timing belt on correct?

If so, what is the engine vacuum at when the engine is at idle and at 2500 rpm?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The timing belt has been installed per factory directions.

Engine Vacuum at idle 18 psi, as the motor revs up it makes a momentary drop to 15 psi than at 2500 rpm it is 20 psi. This all seems within normal limits to me. I have also checked the fuel pressure, tested injector resistance, tested injector spray pattern and flow rate, all are within normal limits. The spark plugs have been replaced with factory recommended Denso Platnium plugs. Fuel filter, PCV valve, air filter have all been replaced. This is a Coil On Plug system and all coils have been tested and found to be within factory limits. System voltages and grounds have been checked for both voltage and amperage draw, all within limits. All four O2 sensor have also been replaced (not because of this problem).

As you can see I have tried a few things. The problem is this vehicle didn't have this problem before the timing belt and tune-up. A note: we also replaced the clutch at the same time.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Do all of the ignition coils on the right bank have full battery voltage with the engine running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes they do, all six coils are supplied by the same feed.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok... I believe you are aware of this TSB. If not, here it is from alldata. I think this might be the problem.

BULLETIN NUMBER:
IB00-S005 GROUP:
INFORMATION ISSUE DATE:
FEBRUARY 2000 3.5L V6 DOHC (6VE1) / 3.2L V6 DOHC (6VD1) ENGINES:
TIMING BELT INSTALLATION

AFFECTED VEHICLES

The following models equipped with "Direct Attack" DOHC 3.2L / 3.5L V6 engine:
^ 1998-2000 Rodeo (UE)/ Amigo(UA)
^ 1998-2000 Trooper (UX)
^ 1999-2000 VehiCROSS (VX)

SERVICE INFORMATION

This information bulletin outlines the proper steps to index the camshafts with the crankshaft. In the event that camshaft timing has been disrupted, due to timing belt breakage or camshafts/crankshaft being rotated without a timing belt, this is important prior to timing belt installation. Due to the gear-ratio used by each camshaft pulley to drive the camshafts, engine timing cannot be indexed conventionally.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT: In the following procedures, the references to 9 or 12 O'clock positions are based on deck plane of the cylinder deck-to-cylinder head mating surface (as viewed from the front of the engine), and NOT RELATIVE TO THE SHOP FLOOR.
1. In the event that camshaft timing has been disrupted, due to timing belt breakage or camshafts/crankshaft being rotated without a timing belt, please proceed to Step 2. Otherwise, continue with Step 22 for timing belt servicing procedures. (after removal of front timing belt covers as outlined in the appropriate Workshop Manual).
2. After cylinder head servicing as outlined in the appropriate Workshop manual, proceed to the following steps.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Figure 1

3. Lubricate and install the idler gear.
4. Inspect the idler gear retaining cover for wear.
NOTE: There is a 0.039 lubrication hole drilled into the idler gear retaining cover. Always inspect this hole for obstruction.

Register Here

Figure 2

IMPORTANT: Do not use a liquid gasket material on the idler retaining cover. Always replace the retaining cover with a new 0-ring. Be sure to lubricate the 0-ring prior to installation.
5. Install the idler cover and torque (10 Nm, 8 lb ft) the 6 mm bolts (Refer to Figure 1).

Register Here

Figure 3

6. Align the right bank idler shaft alignment marks.
IMPORTANT: Align the idler gear dowel pin to its corresponding mark on the idler gear retaining cover before installing the camshafts
7. Use special J-tool to pre-load the sub gear assembly.
NOTE: Use special J-tool J-42686. Once the sub-gear has been pre-loaded, install the 5 mm bolt supplied with the tool and insert it into the camshaft from the back of the camshaft gear assembly. Tighten the bolt to lock the sub-gear in place.

Register Here

Figure 4

IMPORTANT: When the sub gear is pre loaded, the teeth on the sub gear should be aligned with the teeth on the camshaft gear.
8. Install the odd bank camshaft(s) into the cylinder head.

Register Here

Figure 5

NOTE: Before installing the camshafts, pre-lube the cam lobes using a suitable molybdenum assembly grease.

Register Here

Figure 6

IMPORTANT: The single dot on the camshaft gears must be aligned with their corresponding marks on the idler gear. Also, do not remove the 5mm bolt holding the sub-gear, until the camshaft journal caps are installed and the bolts are torqued.
9. Install the camshaft journal retaining caps and torque (10 Nm, 8 lb ft).
IMPORTANT: The camshaft journal caps are numbered to prevent mis-matching. However, pay close attention when installing the caps on the odd bank cylinders. because the cap arrows will face the front of the cylinder head.

Register Here

Figure 7

10. Place a small amount of RTV sealer on the head surface where the cap contacts the head surface.
11. Repeat Steps 3-5 for even bank cylinders.
12. Align the left bank idler shaft marks (Refer to figure 3).
13. Pre-load the sub-gear assemblies (Refer to figure 4).
14. Install the even bank camshafts and pre-lube the cam lobes using a suitable molybdenum assembly grease (Refer to figure 5).
15. Install the camshaft journal retaining caps and torque (10 Nm, 8 lb ft).
IMPORTANT: The camshaft journal caps are numbered to prevent mis-match mg. However, pay close attention when installing the caps on the even bank cylinders, because the cap arrows will face the rear of the cylinder head.
16. Place a small amount of RTV sealer on the head surface where the cap contacts the head surface (Refer to figure 7).
17. Install the cylinder heads.
IMPORTANT: When replacing the cylinder head gaskets, be sure to use the correct gasket for each bank.
18. Torque (64Nm, 47 lb ft) the cylinder head bolts with oil applied to the threads using the following procedure.

Register Here

Figure 8

IMPORTANT: Do not re-use the cylinder head bolts.
19. Install odd bank cam pulley and even bank cam pulley (Torque: 98 Nm, 72 lb ft).
NOTE: Skip this step if the pulley has not been removed.
20. Install both head covers and tighten bolts (Torque: 9 Nm, 7 lb ft)
NOTE: Use only a couple of bolts to register the cover.
21. Rotate the crankshaft until the mark on the crankshaft sprocket aligns with the mark on the oil pump cover. This will position the # XXXXX piston at TDC. (figure 9)

Register Here

Figure 9

22. Time the camshafts on the odd numbered bank cylinders (passenger side), by rotating the odd bank camshaft sprocket until it springs to the 12 o'clock position. (figure 10)
NOTE: It may require up to 9 revolutions.

Register Here

Figure 10

IMPORTANT: Due to the loss of the reference timing, you will have to rotate this camshaft sprocket until the timing mark on the camshaft sprocket "springs" into the 120 'clock position. This may require up to 9 revolutions. If the camshaft does not spring to the 12 0 'clock position, camshaft timing will be incorrect.

Register Here

Figure 11

23. Time the camshafts on the even numbered bank cylinders (driver side), using the two step process.
(a) Rotate the even bank camshaft sprocket clock-wise until the cam sprocket "springs" to the 9 O'clock position. (figure 11)

Register Here

Figure 12

(b) Rotate the even bank camshaft sprocket an additional 90 degrees (clockwise) to the 12 o'clock position and align the camshaft sprocket mark with the mark embossed on the cylinder head cover. (figure 12)
IMPORTANT: Step 23-b is necessary to achieve the correct camshaft timing for the odd bank of cylinders. Failure to perform this last step will result in incorrect valve timing. NOTE: Install the timing belt following the procedures outlined in following steps. Make sure that timing marks are not disturbed during this operation. After installing the timing belt, make sure that all the timing marks are in their proper position. It is very easy to mis-install the belt and be off a tooth, which could cause driveability problems.
24. With the timing marks in their proper position, position the timing belt with marks, noting the direction of rotation.

Register Here

Figure 13

Register Here

Figure 14

NOTE: On the timing belt, there are series of green arrows indicating the direction of rotation. There are also two solid white lines and one dotted white line. Ins tall the belt with the solid lines perpendicular to the marks on the camshaft sprocket. (figures 13 and 14)

Register Here

Figure 15

Register Here

Figure 16

25. Secure the belt to the camshaft sprockets using binder clamps. This will keep the belt in the proper tooth of the sprocket and will assist in holding the belt in place. (figures 15 and 16)

Register Here

Figure 17

26. Align the dotted-white line of the timing belt with the white timing mark of the crank sprocket (180°from TDC timing notch). Slip the belt into place and install the belt tensioner (remove retaining pin afterwards). (figure 17)

Register Here

Figure 18

27. After installing timing belt make sure that all the timing marks are still in their proper position and have not been disturbed during the tensioning of the belt. (figure 18)
IMPORTANT: If you have resistance while rotating the engine by hand, do not continue. The valves may be contacting the pistons due to incorrect valve timing. Recheck the camshafts and crankshafts sprockets to be sure they are correctly aligned with their marks. Serious engine damage could occur if the belt is improperly installed.
28. Remove the binding clips.
29. Rotate crankshaft pulley a minimum of 2 complete turns (clockwise) and inspect if the timing marks have returned to the same position (# XXXXX Piston on TDC). If it has returned to the same position then continue to Step 31. If there is resistance, please refer to the IMPORTANT note stated above.
30. Proceed to the remaining reassembly procedure as outlined in the appropriate Workshop Manual.

Double-check the timing belt installation using the bulletin 00-S005.

If the timing belt is installed correctly, check for a plugged catalytic converter on that bank.

Edited by AMEDEE on 11/3/2010 at 4:33 PM EST