nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

Mercedes E550: im considering a new car...comfort, reliability

I'm considering a new car. I'm interested in comfort, reliability, and 300 horsepower.
The three I'm interested in are the BMW 5 series, the Mercedes E550, and the Audi 6.
Which should I choose?

Billy :

Hello Sir,

Billy :

I'm Billy and i will help you with this.

Billy :

All three luxury sedans you picked, have variants over 300 horsepower and are all very comfortable.

Billy :

But i would suggest the BMW 5 series, for the following reasons:

Billy :

- the mercedes has received very bad reliability reports on all models except for the E350

Billy :

- Audi's although a great car, with many hi tech options you can not find anywhere else, is still proving to be not reliable as years go by.

Billy :

- As for the new 5 series, the body has been around for one year, BMW 5 series have above average reliability reports,

Billy :

- and the platform being around for one year, means many problems have been solved and updated.

Billy :

More than that (starting to get personal now), BMW 5 series always have had the ultimate compromise between luxury, and sportiness.

Billy :

As Audi is a bit too sporty and stiff for a big sedan of course

Billy :

And the Mercedes is a bit too soft and classy (not that classy is bad, just making a point of balance between classy and sporty)

Billy :

Now if you further explanation, i'm right here!

Customer :

I'd heard that the bmw 5 series had been problematic over the years.

Billy :

It has had its share of problems.

Billy :

But the new platform, available since one year, have proved pretty reliable to this date. And the fact that it has been around for one year, makes all the difference in fixed bugs, recalls and updates.

Billy :

At the same time, i wish to remind you that Mercedes, have had the worst reliability report this year (it has been declining for a few years)

Billy :

And Audi, always will be the one needing more attention (probably, it is because it contains more high-tech)

Billy :

Have you ever considered the Lexus LS 460?

Customer :

Surprised to hear this. I was leaning toward the Mercedes because I have a 2006 cl500 that's been pretty reliable.

Billy :

The Mercedes have had problems in the late 90's and early 2000, then they managed to get back to above average reliability, in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007, ever since they have been in decline, this years reliability study, showed mercedes below average in most categories, the only car that did good was the E350.

Customer :

Wow. So what about the Lexus LS 460? Would that be your pick?

Billy :

Well, the Japs have always aced reliability tests, right? so i would think it is the most reliable (although i would pick a german car any day), and the look is very nice, and very nice specs as well.

Billy :

I'm just giving you some other options to consider (it is your choice after all)

Customer :

Maybe I should keep my cl 500. It's only got 50,000 miles. But the warrantee is up.

Billy :

Well, if your CL500, is well maintained, i do not think you will have any major issues for the next couple of years.

Customer :

ok, Billy, thanks for the help.