Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

elderly Disco Tdi (M reg) with a factory fitted alarm...fob

I have an elderly Disco Tdi (M reg) with a factory fitted alarm. Recently it has become increasingly difficult to lock and unlock the car with the fob (I have replaced the battery) and have been told that the system is inextricably linked to the ICU, so replacing the alarm isn't an option.

Can you advise? It's driving me potty!

Many thanks

Matthew
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Most common is the drivers door lock actuator does this make any abnormal noises?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry to say I don't fully understand the question... what sort of noise do you mean, excepting the "chunk" as the door locks?

Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Ok does the drivers door lock ever malfunction make a fast clicking noise ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No, it doesn't.

Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Ok mos common is the drivers door lock actuator as it gets older starts to bind . This is what gives the doors the signal to open when using the fob and when it sticks like this you get the issue you are experiencing . So it's not a fob issue it's a door actuator or latch rod issue binding. I would have this checked next . Allot of times this can be fixed by lubing the latch or rods if not then replacing the actuator should take care of this issue. These are the next steps . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi, that sounds like it might be the issue then, I shall lubricate the various parts... er... where exactly should I squirt the oil?

Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
You will need to remove the door panel then lubricate the latch and rods and make sure nothing is binding.If there's still an issue then the actuator is most likely bad. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .