Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic

04 plate mk5 Astra..engine managmentg light flashing..5mins

Customer Question

I have a 04 plate mk5 Astra and every now and then when you start it it will start and then cut out with the engine managmentg light flashing and will do nothing else. wait around 5mins and then it will start?
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JA!!!

I'm Billy and i will help you with this question.

The intermittent problem, is one of the hardest problems to diagnose, now when the engine light is flashing that means that there is a major problem or fault scanned by the system, and in that case the engine light will flash and the engine will go in fail safe mode (limp home mode) to prevent further engine damage.
Now the problem could be something very easy to fix. I suggest you check if the immobiliser light, if working properly, then the problem is with the engine management, and you need to check all fuses (press them into place) and checks the engine ground cable (it is a thick cable connected to engine with a nut) remove nut clean contacts and refit.
If all that does not work, you need to have the car scanned for codes, in order to know which is the faulty system or part, so it will be the best way to start the diagnosis.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.