Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master, L1, L2, ASE 15yrs and running.
19871424

rodeo: my 1998..v6..timing belt kit,water pump and hydraulic tensioner

Customer Question

G'day,,About 6 weeks ago my timing belt BROKE on my 1998 holden rodeo v6 (6VD1)..I have finally saved the money for parts and changed timing belt kit,water pump and hydraulic tensioner,HOWEVER after trying to restart the engine it still seems to be spinning freely like it has no compression.The camshafts on the oil-cap side are turning.How do I tell what is wrong with it ?????
Category: Car
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 years ago.

Eurocar Inc. :

hello there!

Eurocar Inc. :

there is a great chance that when the timing belt broke the valves bent by the pistions!

Eurocar Inc. :

that motor is an interference motor!

Eurocar Inc. :

which means if it jumps out of time the valves will hit the pistons and no compression the cylinder heads needs to be removed and recondition the head w/ new valves and valve job

JACUSTOMER-ycnquj1i- :

That.s what I have been worried might be the problem from the start..Are you 100% positive because there is so much difference of opinion everywhere..

Eurocar Inc. :

i have done these before and they are an interference motor !!! 100% positive!!

JACUSTOMER-ycnquj1i- :

So now what should I do ?? Pull the heads off and take them into the shop ?? Should I just tow the car into the shop??

Eurocar Inc. :

if you are mechanically sound it is not a real bad job but if you do not have the right tools then might be better to have the professional do the job!!

Eurocar Inc. :

may cost more but it will be done rightQ

Eurocar Inc. :

i know it was not the answer you were looking for!!!

JACUSTOMER-ycnquj1i- :

What about buying some heads from the wreckers and using them ??

Eurocar Inc. :

can do to save in cost and time certainly but you pay for what you get at least have them checked out and pressure tested to make sure they are good and sealing correctly !!

Eurocar Inc. :

i hope this answers your question and have a game plan now what to do!!

Eurocar Inc. :

I think i have answered you question fully and deposits does not pay me in full until the green accept button is pressed for the consultation

thank you for you support in JustAnswer and have a great day

p.s. please do not forget the feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated!!