Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member

Service soon..this a software problem and if so is Vauxhall aware

Insignia sports tourer has been serviced, but indicating arrange for service soon on screen. What is the fault? Is this a software problem and if so is Vauxhall aware of this? (We have just purchased this car, but discovered this fault prior to taking it away from the Garage of purchase because of this fault). We would appreciate your expert advice on this matter i.e. should we take it away with this fault and have it fixed when updated software available or should we cancel sale? (if this is actually the fault)?
Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and welcome to JA!!!

Billy :

I'm Billy and i will help you with this.

Billy :

There are two service indicators on screen or dash:

Billy :

- one service indicator that needs to be reset manually or using a scan tool every time you service this vehicle, and if it is the one lit, you have nothing to worry about, as this one will light at specific intervals (e.g. every 10000 miles) as just a reminder so you change oil and service vehicle.

Billy :

- the other service indicator, is the check engine light, which indicates a fault in the engine management system, which could be anything from coolant temperature sensor, to oxygen sensors or catalytic converters. Now this light, you should have it checked and have the codes retrieved and read, so you know how deep this goes, in order to decide on the vehicle.

Billy :

Having said that, i suggest you check the following (that applies to any second hand vehicle you buy):

Billy :

- check engine oil level and quality (burnt, golden...)

Billy :

- check coolant level and quality (check if it is muddy or clean etc...)

Billy :

- listen to the engine while cold (it should not have ticking noises)

Billy :

- wait until engine is warm, then have some one rev it up a bit while you look at exhaust (if you see oily bluish smoke then engine is in trouble)

Billy :

- press brake pedal, and shift through the gears while stationary (shifting should be smooth)

Billy :

These are the main things you might want to check (of course other than looks, space...), now if you need further info on the subject, feel free to ask

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you aware of this being a fault in this make/model?
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
This is not a fault in this make/ model or any make.
I described what the service light is (two options) you have to see which one is on, and if it is the service interval light, have it turned of via proper scan tool (if vehicle was serviced), and if it is the check engine light, you have to have the car scanned and retrieve the codes to know, what the defective part or system is (i told you it could be a fuse or a temperature sensor which is easy and cheap to fix, and if it is a costly error like catalytic converter, you might want to reconsider buying the vehicle).

I suggest you read the above answer and check the car accordingly, the light is not a fault in any specific model, you have to check it to see what it means.

Regards,
Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member