Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member

2002 ls: front fender..crankshaft sensor..vehicle wouldnt start

I have an Isuzu Rodeo 2002 LS 3.2L. The front fender was hit and pushed the battery holder into the wire that connects to the crankshaft sensor. This severed the wire and the vehicle wouldn't start. The wires were spliced and now the vehicle starts and drives fine for a while, but it has quit running several times going down the freeway. If I pull over and shut off the engine, it will start back up and run for a while until the same thing happens again. It is possible the sensor is damaged. Would it stop working all together is it were bad, instead of intermittent? Every once and a while I get a flashing check engine light, which from what I have read is a misfire indicator. The only codes I can find are PO135 and PO138 oxygen sensors on the passenger side. I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks, Michael
Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Billy :

Hello Micheal and welcome to JA!!!

Billy :

I'm Billy and i will help you with this.

Billy :

Now the accident that happened, could and could not be the cause of the following problems (except of course splicing the wires)

Billy :

In any way, i recommend you do the following:

Billy :

- check wirings (of crankshaft sensor and other wirings in proximity), for that i suggest you conduct the wiggle test, that would mean wiggle every wire thoroughly while you have your engine on, and listen for changes or even flashing check engine light, in that case, you will have to change the defective wire(s).

Billy :

- remove crankshaft sensor, clean the tip and check if it's broken, or deformed, and in that case replace it.

Billy :

- check engine ground (the thick cable connected to engine with nut) disconnect, clean contacts and refit.

Billy :

Now having done this, your problem should go away, as it is mostly related to the bump.

Billy :

As for the engine light flashing, it does not have to be a misfire, when a serious error is spotted by the ECM (engine control module) the light will flash and the engine will go to fail safe mode (limp home mode) that disables it from exceeding certain speeds and loads, in order to prevent further engine damage. Please note that sometimes it happens for no apparent reason (although rarely)

Billy :

And the codes you retrieved are heated oxygen sensors 1 and two in bank one. Now these do not trigger the check engine light into flashing, although they do trigger it as to light up. I suggest you check the wiring of these two sensors, and their respective fuses and relays, before condemning them.

Billy :

Now if you have more questions on the subject, feel free to ask!

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Customer:

Hello Billy

Customer:

Were you able to find a solution to the issue I am having with the Isuzu Rodeo?

Billy :

Hi again

Billy :

I already typed the answer, i will relist it:

Customer:

I had some trouble getting into the chat

Billy :

Hello Micheal and welcome to JA!!!

10:50 PM

10:51 PM

10:51 PM

10:53 PM

10:54 PM

10:55 PM

10:56 PM

10:58 PM

11:00 PM

11:00 PM

11:00 PM

Regards,

11:00 PM

Billy

Billy :

Can you read it now

Billy :

?

Customer:

So you feel the engine cutting off is related to the wiring, the crankshaft sensor itself, or possibly the ground? Is this the ground coming off the battery to the body of the car?

Billy :

The ground will come from chassis (body)

Billy :

The cutting off (erraticly) can only be due to faulty wiring (grounding, earth, or even crankshaft), i would consider checking the crankshaft sensor as well

Billy :

Cause when the car, runs, it can run fine for some time, and then it cuts off, if it were a faulty oxygen sensor or fuel pump or coil it would have been continuous.

Customer:

So the crankshaftsensor could allow the car to run well for a time, but somehow get out of position and cause the car to lose spark and die

Billy :

Yes, when it heats up, or if the signal is weak (sometimes ECU gets it and sometimes not ) ECU is engine control module.

Billy :

You can start, by removing the sensor, clean it's tip, check visually for damage (deformation), and replace according to condition observed

Customer:

Any idea where the other end of the crank shaft sensor wire connects. I have not seen it. Only saw the splice off to the side of the block?

Billy :

But make sure you perform the wiggle test on wires (wiggle test described earlier)

Billy :

The crankshaft sensor connects to ECU (engine control unit)

Customer:

Alright I'll give it a try. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX input. I will accept your answer now, and my post back later on.

Billy :

I will follow up!

Billy :

Good luck for now, and waiting for updates...

Customer:

Ok thanks.

Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member