Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Water pump pulley keep snapping off water pump..3rd

water pump pulley keep snapping off water pump on 2009 hummmer limo. 3rd time , anyone have any answers.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

HiCustomer

I just need a little more info to assist better,

Is it the pulley itself that keeps breaking off of the water pump?

Does the water pump itself keep getting damaged and needing replaced with this as well?

Has anything else been done to try and correct this problem?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just the pulley keeps snapping off, it is welded to the front of the pump.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
There are a few things that can cause this failure.

First is if the water pump being replaced is fro the same manufacturer it may be possible that the welds are weak and allowing the pulley to break free and come off.This would normally be very rare for this failure but is a possibility if the part is purchased after market in some cases.

Second is the belt alignment.If one or more of the other pulleys is out of alignment this can put added stress to the water pump pulley and could be pulling it one way and can cause this failure to happen.Examine all pulleys and the belt to make sure no other pulley/component is defective and is causing misalignment,you should be able to look at the belt from the drivers or passenger side of the vehicle to see if the belt is properly aligned on the pulleys and that none of the pulleys is to far out or in.If one is to far out or in then it would need replaced.One common failure for this is the power steering pulley,this may be seated on the power steering pump to far in or out,the pulley should be flush with the power steering shaft,if it is in to far on the shaft or out to far then it needs to be adjusted on the shaft with the power steering pump pulley remover and installer tool.

Third is if the belt tensioner is putting to much strain on the belt,if it is tightening to much it may be breaking the pulley off,when the belt is on check to see how tight the belt is by pushing up and down on the belt,it should flex at least 1/4 inch or more,if it is extremely tight then either the tensioner is pulling the belt to tight or the wrong belt is on the vehicle.
Make sure the right belt is on the vehicle as a belt to short will be to tight.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!